SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University football team continues Northeast Conference play this weekend as it heads to New Britain, Connecticut, to face Central Connecticut on Saturday afternoon. Kickoff is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.
Opponent: Central Connecticut (4-3, 2-0 NEC)
Location: Arute Field | New Britain, Conn.
Kickoff: 12:00 p.m.
Watch Live: NEC FrontRow
Listen Live: WOON 1240 or onworldwide.com
Live Stats: Sidearm
- The Bulldogs and the Blue Devils will be meeting for the 10th-straight year on Saturday afternoon.
- CCSU holds a 5-4 lead in the all-time series but Bryant has won four of the last five games.
- The Black and Gold defeated CCSU 45-25 last year on Homecoming and Reunion Weekend. Bryant put up 460 yards of total offense, went 9-for-14 on third downs and finished with 27 first downs in the game.
- Bryant has scored 28 points or more in each of its last five games against CCSU.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant opened NEC play with a 30-14 loss to Saint Francis U last Saturday in Smithfield. The Bulldogs are now 5-4 in NEC openers since 2009.
- The Black and Gold were held to just 214 yards of total offense, 270 yard below their season average coming into the game.
- Redshirt sophomore Jean Constant (Delray Beach, Fla.) had another strong game in week 6, recording over 160 all-purpose yards for the third-straight week and the fourth time this season. Constant ranks fourth nationally with 165 all-purpose yards per game.
- With 992 all-purpose yards, Constant needs just eight more to become the 10th different player in program history to record 1,000+ AP yards in a single season.
- Sophomore Jesse Nemerowicz (Hudson, Mass.) returned to the Bryant lineup and made a career-high 16 tackles against SFU. He has missed the first five games with injury.
- Classmate Eulogio Portugal (Rosedale, N.Y.) also registered a career-high in tackles, finishing with 12, including nine solo tackles. He also recovered a fumble in the endzone.
- Over his last 10 games dating back to last season, junior Thomas Costigan (Stamford, Conn.) has 88 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 17 tackles for a loss and five forced fumbles. He leads the league in sacks and is second in with 8.8 tackles per game this season.
A bit about the Blue Devils
- Central Connecticut enters this weekend on a four-game winning streak. The Blue Devils have defeated Walsh (57-6), Sacred Heart (26-15), Penn (42-21) and Wagner (51-45) during the stretch.
- The Blue Devils needed four OTs to defeat Wagner last weekend on Staten Island.
- CCSU opened the season against FBS member Syracuse and then faced Fordham and Youngstown St.
- The Blue Devils rank second in the league in scoring offense (31.9) but just fifth in the league in total offense (344.7).
- Cameron Nash ranks second in the league with 91.9 rushing yards per game and has scored eight touchdowns.
- Veteran QB Jacob Dolegala has thrown for 158 yards per game and has only been sacked six times.
- Kicker Frankie Palmer is a perfect 7-of-7 on field goal attempts this season.
- Randall Laguerre leads a defense that allows 462 yards per game with 49 tackles.
- Tajik Bagley, Tymir Hinton and Jarrod Cann all rank in the top four in the NEC in passes defended. Bagley leads the league with nine.
- Cann leads the league with four interceptions, while Hinton returned a pick 100 yards last week against Wagner.