STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Redshirt-sophomore Jean Constant (Delray Beach, Fla.) scored three touchdowns, including one on a 100-yard kickoff return, as the Bryant University football team defeated Wagner, 31-16, in a Northeast Conference game at Hameline Field Saturday.
Constant caught two touchdown passes and added another on a kickoff return, while senior Tom Kennedy (Farmingdale, N.Y.) also reached the end zone. Junior Thomas Costigan (Stamford, Conn.) tallied 11 tackles, two sacks, four tackles for loss and a forced fumble in the victory.
Bryant 31, Wagner 16
Records: Bryant (3-5, 1-2), Wagner (2-6, 0-4)
Location: Hameline Field (Staten Island, N.Y.)
COACH PERRY'S COMMENTS
"I'm really happy. The kids have practiced hard. We've had a couple tight losses, but they're a resilient group. I was really happy that all that hard work paid off today.
"Jean Constant played spectacularly. We've been talking all week about wanting one of those to come out [as a difference-maker]. The hard work from that unit and all three units - offense, defense and special teams - in practice really showed and I was really proud of them."
- Wagner's opening drive was ended by a Bryant takeaway. Junior Thomas Costigan (Stamford, Conn.) recorded a sack and forced fumble, which was recovered by redshirt-junior Kevin Lazo (Pembroke Pines, Fla.). The Bulldogs would turn the possession into points, as Bryant got on the board first with a field goal from sophomore Gavin Rowley (Hampstead, Md.).
- Lazo also blocked a field goal in the first half to help limit the Seahawks to three first-half points.
- Redshirt-sophomore Jean Constant (Delray Beach, Fla.) scored a pair of first-half touchdowns to help the Bulldogs to a 17-3 halftime advantage. After a Wagner field goal to tie the game, Constant brought the ensuing kickoff back 100 yards for a touchdown. Constant would also tally a touchdown reception on a pass from graduate Devin Ray (Bedminster, N.J.).
- The Seahawks would cut it to 24-16 entering the fourth quarter, but Constant added insurance with his third touchdown of the game for the final 31-16 margin.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bulldogs opened the scoring on a 23-yard field goal by sophomore Gavin Rowley (Hampstead, Md.) with 8:12 remaining in the first quarter. The possession began on a fumble recovery from redshirt-junior Kevin Lazo (Pembroke Pines, Fla.).
- After a Wagner field goal, redshirt-sophomore Jean Constant (Delray Beach, Fla.) ran the ensuing kickoff back 100 yards to give the Bulldogs a 10-3 lead with 3:14 to go in the opening quarter.
- Bryant had the lone score in the second quarter with some creativity involved. Junior Price Wilson (Marietta, Ga.) handed off to graduate Devin Ray (Bedminster, N.J.), who rolled out and tossed a 25-yard touchdown pass to Constant to extend the lead to 17-3 with 13:58 remaining in the half.
- Wagner found the end zone for the first time on a 38-yard touchdown run from Ryan Fulse with 7:40 to go in the third quarter. Bryant would answer quickly with a three-play, 68-yard drive capped off by a 31-yard touchdown pass from Wilson to senior Tom Kennedy (Farmingdale, N.Y.) with 6:42 to go in the quarter.
- The Seahawks would score again in the third quarter, as Luke Massei connected with D'Erren Wilson for a nine-yard touchdown pass with 3:39 remaining in the quarter.
- Constant would add a third touchdown late in the fourth quarter, breaking a tackle on a third-and-long and darting his way into the end zone to add an insurance touchdown with 3:30 to play.
- Junior Price Wilson (Marietta, Ga.) was 16-of-22 for 166 yards with two touchdowns.
- Graduate Devin Ray (Bedminster, N.J.) was 2-of-2 for 41 yards and a touchdown along with 23 yards rushing.
- Redshirt-sophomore Jean Constant (Delray Beach, Fla.) caught four passes for 47 yards with two touchdowns, while adding a 100-yard kickoff return.
- Senior Tom Kennedy (Farmingdale, N.Y.) grabbed five catches for 109 yards and a touchdown.
- Junior Brenden Femiano (Northport, N.Y.) had 16 carries for 82 yards.
- Junior Thomas Costigan (Stamford, Conn.) tallied 11 tackles, two sacks, four tackles for loss and a forced fumble.
- Redshirt-junior Kevin Lazo (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) recorded a fumble recovery and blocked field goal along with three tackles.
- Sophomore Eulogio Portugal (Rosedale, N.Y.) notched 10 tackles, while junior Danny Hughes (Shoreham, N.Y.) collected a career-high nine.
- Sophomore Gavin Rowley (Hampstead, Md.) averaged 44.2 yards per punt with a long of 55.
- Bryant improves to 7-3 all-time against Wagner and has won three straight in the series.
- The 16 points allowed are a season-best.
- Junior Price Wilson (Marietta, Ga.) now has 2,401 passing yards on the season, good for third in a single season in program history.
- Wilson's 72.7-percent completion percentage was the first 70-percent completion percentage by a Bulldog quarterback since Dalton Easton was also 16-of-22 in a win over Saint Francis U in 2014.
- The kickoff return from redshirt-sophomore Jean Constant (Delray Beach, Fla.) matched Jose Depadua's 100-yard return in 2013 for the longest in program history.
- Constant's three-touchdown performance marked the 22nd time in program history that a Bulldog found the end zone three or more times in a game.
- Junior Thomas Costigan (Stamford, Conn.) recored four tackles for loss for the second time in his career.
The Bulldogs return home to host Sacred Heart next Saturday at noon at Beirne Stadium. Tickets for the Nov. 4 game are available by clicking HERE.