MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. – Junior linebacker Thomas Costigan (Stamford, Conn.) posted three sacks and running backs Jake Wiswall (Great River, N.Y.) and Alfred Dorbor (Pawtucket, R.I.) each scored their first-career touchdowns as the Bryant University football team won its third-straight, 42-17, over Robert Morris on Saturday at Joe Walton Stadium.
Costigan led a Bulldog (5-5, 3-2 NEC) defense that held the Colonials (2-8, 0-5 NEC) to just 19 rushing yards on the afternoon. Wiswall and Dorbor were part of a Bryant running attack that churned out 192 yards and three touchdowns.
For the third-straight week, however, it was a special teams play that turned the tide in the game. After RMU pulled within four, 21-17, in the fourth quarter, redshirt sophomore Jean Constant (Delray Beach, Fla.) returned the ensuing kick 86 yards for his second return score of the season.
Bryant 42, Robert Morris 17
Records: Bryant (5-5, 3-2), Robert Morris (2-8, 0-5)
Location: Joe Walton Stadium | Moon Township, Pa.
COACH PERRY'S COMMENTS
"That was a very hard-fought game. Credit to Robert Morris, they played really hard all game long. That was a very close game and the ball bounced our way at the end. We take conditioning seriously and towards the end of the game, there were some really critical moments where I think that showed. In that locker room, we know we are playing our best football, we keep playing better each week and we are hungry to get another chance to do that."
- Trailing by seven, Robert Morris had first-and-goal from the Bryant 7 to start the fourth quarter. A five-yard rush put the ball at the two but the Bulldogs forced back-to-back incompletions, holding RMU to a field goal.
- Constant then fielded the ensuing kickoff at his own 14 and proceeded up the sideline for an 86-yard touchdown. The score put Bryant up 11 and the Black and Gold never looked back.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first quarter, the Bulldogs capped an eight-play, 72-yard drive at the beginning of the second quarter. Facing a 4th-and-3, redshirt junior Price Wilson (Marietta, Ga.) connected with senior Tom Kennedy (Farmingdale, N.Y.) for a 31-yard touchdown.
- The Colonials took advantage of a turnover to tie the game two minutes later. Heavon Price recovered a fumble at the Bryant 41 and Tim Vecchio caught a TD pass on the very first play of the drive.
- Bryant retook the lead with an 11-play, 84-yard drive. Wiswall converted on 4th-and-1 from the Bryant 25 to keep the drive alive and junior Vincent Nisivoccia (Nutley, N.J.) added two-straight big plays to put the ball at the RMU 11. Two plays later, Wilson called his own number and ran in from 10 yards out.
- Another Bryant turnover led to RMU tying the game with 35 seconds left in the first half. Jimmy Walker hooked up with Mike Gonzalez for a seven-yard score to tie the game.
- The Bulldogs grabbed a 21-14 lead with 4:24 left in the third quarter on Dorbor's first career score. Wiswall had a 33-yard completion on third-and-long to keep the drive going and Dorbor scored from three yards out to cap it.
- Nick Bisceglia's 19-yard field goal made it 21-17 with 14:12 left in the game.
- Constant then took the ensuing kickoff 86 yards for a touchdown to make it 28-17.
- A Costigan sack on fourth down gave Bryant the ball at the RMU 29 with 3:25 left and Wiswall capped it with a six-yard run on fourth down.
- Costigan helped Bryant cap the scoring as he collected a strip sack in the endzone and classmate Peter Corbett (Wantagh, N.Y.) recovered it for a touchdown.
- The Bulldogs collected 428 yards of total offense and 23 first downs.
- Bryant turned the ball over four times in the game.
- Wilson finished 23-of-37 for 236 yards, a touchdown, and two interceptions. He also picked up 44 yards on three carries.
- Wiswall rushed for 66 yards and a TD on 18 carries. He also added 44 yards on three receptions.
- Dorbor added 60 yards and a score on nine carries.
- Senior Matt Sewall (Portsmouth, R.I.) had four catches for 65 yards.
- Kennedy led Bryant with seven catches for 60 yards and a touchdown.
- Constant finished with 156 return yards and 168 all-purpose yards.
- Costigan posted seven tackles, three sacks, 3.5 tackles for a loss, a forced fumble and a pass breakup.
- Junior Kodi Ojukwu (Dix Hills, N.Y.) had 1.5 sacks in the game.
- Freshman Andre Brackett (East Windsor, N.Y.) intercepted his first-career pass.
- Bryant improved its record to 8-2 against Robert Morris. The Bulldogs' win is their first in Moon Township since 2011.
- Wilson set the Bryant single-season passing record with his 236 passing yards. He now has 2,982 passing yards on the season.
- Kennedy's seven catches give him 48 for the season, good enough for third in the single-season record book. He also jumped up to fifth in single-season receiving yards (763).
- Kennedy also scored a touchdown for the seventh-straight week and has 11 total TDs on the season.
- Constant now has two return touchdowns this season and 957 kick return yards. He has 10 total touchdowns on the year.
- Costigan now leads the NEC with 11 sacks and 16.5 tackles for a loss. The 11 sacks are the second-most in a single-season in program history.
- With 92 all-purpose yards, Sewall became just the 10th player in program history with 2,000 career all-purpose yards (2,076).
- Redshirt junior Kevin Lazo (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) blocked an RMU field goal attempt in the first half. It was his fourth of the year, tying him for the national lead and tying a Bryant single-season record.
The Bulldogs wrap up the 2017 season when they host Duquesne next Saturday at Beirne Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for noon and the Black and Gold will honor their senior class prior to the game.