SMITHFIELD, R.I. -- The Bryant University field hockey team will play two games in the Ocean State this upcoming weekend, as they will square off with interstate rivals Brown on Friday and Providence Sunday. The game against the Friars will serve as the team's first home game of the season, although both games will be played at Golberger Family Field in Providence.
Opponent: Brown University
Date: Sept. 1, 2017
Game Time: Noon EDT
Watch Live: Ivy League Network (Subscription based)
Live Stats: Presto
- Friday's meeting will be the ninth all-time between Bryant and Brown. All time, Brown holds a 5-3 series lead.
- The Bulldogs last topped the Bears in 2013, when Bryant left Goldberger Family Field with a 4-3 win.
A bit about the Bears
- Friday's game will be the first of the season for Brown. Last season, the Bears went 8-9 with a 3-4 mark in Ivy League games.
- Gina Openshaw is the Bears leading returning scorer. As a freshman, Openshaw scored five goals and had three assists to total 13 points.
- Katie Hammaker will likely return in goal for the Bears. The junior played in and started all 17 games last season, allowing 2.39 goals-per-game while having a .715 save percentage.
- The Bears are led by head coach Jill Reeve, who enters her seventh season with the Bears in 2017. She has posted a 40-62 record in her stint at Brown.
Opponent: Providence College
Date: Sept. 3, 2017
Game Time: 1 p.m. EDT
Live Stats: Presto
- This is just the second meeting between the two schools. Providence won the only prior meeting which took place last season when the Friars won a 1-0 thriller.
A bit about the Friars
- Providence comes into the weekend with a 1-1 record. The Friars met Maine in their season opener and topped the Black Bears, 1-0. From there, Providence squared off with Northwestern at home but was downed by the Wildcats, 4-0.
- Allyson Parker leads the Friars in points, scoring the unassisted game-winning goal versus Maine.
- Providence is led by head coach Diane Madl, who enters her 16th season as the leader of the program. During her tenure, Madl has accumulated a 140-152 record as of the end of 2016.
Bulldogs Notes and Notables
- Junior Victoria Newbill (Wilton, Maine) and freshman Madison Demand (Watertown, New Jersey) each lead the team in scoring coming into the weekend with a goal each. Newbill's classmate, Emily Perryman (Lebanon, New Hampshire) notched an assist vs. Maine to round out the point leaders.
- Senior Keighan Richardson (North Attleboro, Massachusetts) earned the first defensive save of her career on Tuesday at Maine. Richardson was named Preseason All-Conference by the Mid Atlantic Athletic Conference prior to the season.
- Bryant's captains in 2017 are seniors Grace Farrell (Milford, Pennsylvania), Keighan Richardson (North Attleboro, Massachusetts), and Bethany Winkin (Winslow, Maine).