HANOVER, New Hampshire – Alex Neumann (Auckland, New Zealand) and Floor van Dommelen (Berg en Dal, Netherlands) each scored goal for the Bulldogs, but Bryant University field hockey fell to Dartmouth on Sunday, 7-2, at Chase Field in Hanover. The Bulldogs fell to 1-6 on the season, while Dartmouth improved to 2-2.
Dartmouth 7, Bryant 2
Records: Bryant (1-6), Dartmouth (2-2)
Location: Chase AstroTurf Field (Hanover, New Hampshire)
COACH DE VRIES' COMMENTS
"I'm really happy with how this team played in the first half," Bryant head coach Joppe de Vries said. "They played without fear. They had fun and seeing them do it in the first half, I know they will succeed. The second half, we lost our focus a bit. But I am excited to see what this team can do and can see that we're growing."
Down just a goal, Dartmouth's Gemma Bautista scored off of a deflected shot to give the Big Green some momentum.
- 15th minute – Bryant 0, Dartmouth 1 – Dartmouth's Kira Koehler scored after her initial shot hit the crossbar. The ball deflected toward Koehler, who put the ball into the net after gaining control.
- 17th minute – Bryant 1, Dartmouth 1– Neumann shot after a corner that was inserted by Keighan Richardson (North Attleboro, Massachusetts) and stopped by Victoria Newbill (Wilton, Maine). The freshman's shot went to the right of the goal to tie the game for the Bulldogs.
- 27th minute – Bryant 2, Dartmouth 1 – van Dommelen gave Bryant a lead after Neumann created space after a corner insertion by Richardson. Neumann passed back to van Dommelen, who had an open shot into the goal for a Bulldogs lead.
- 28th minute – Bryant 2, Dartmouth 2 – Morgan Philie tied the game less than 90 seconds later, scoring a goal after collecting a rebound that bounced off the pads of Miranda Grundy (Smithfield, Rhode Island).
- 31st minute – Bryant 2, Dartmouth 3 – Bautista scored on a corner inserted by Katie Spanos.
- 40th minute – Bryant 2, Dartmouth 4 – Bautista's second-straight score came off of a deflection. The Dartmouth scorer collected the loose ball and created space before shooting to the left of the goal.
- 45th minute – Bryant 2, Dartmouth 5 – Philie scored her second goal of the game on a corner. Spanos inserted for the Big Green, while Sarah Tabeek positioned the ball for Philie.
- 49th minute – Bryant 2, Dartmouth 6 – Katie Persin collected a pass from Koehler after the ball rolled in the circle. Koehler gained possession, centered the ball and Persin was able to score.
- 63rd minute – Bryant 2, Dartmouth 7 – Amrit Ahluwalia scored on a penalty stroke to round out the scoring. Before the stroke was awarded, Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ontario, Canada) came up with a big stop on a breakaway, but a loose-ball foul gave Dartmouth the free chance.
- Alex Neumann earned her first career assist on van Dommelen's strike. With her goal, Neumann has seven points on the season.
- Freshman Lauren Zimmerman (Newton, Connecticut) earned a defensive save, the first of her collegiate career. Grundy had made a diving save that had a ball roll to the left of the cage, and the Big Green shot toward the net. Zimmerman stepped in front of the path to come up with the stop.
The Bulldogs are next in action on Friday, Sept. 15 when they host UC Davis for an 11 a.m. matchup. The game will be played at Goldberger Family Field in Providence, Rhode Island.