SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Bryant University field hockey resumes its 2017 campaign with a pair of games over the upcoming weekend. The Bulldogs host UC Davis on Friday beginning at 11 a.m. before traveling to Columbia for a game against the Lions at 4 p.m. Friday's contest will be played at Goldberger Family Field in Providence.
Opponent: University of California, Davis
Date: Sept. 15, 2017
Game Time: 11 a.m. EDT
Live Stats: Presto
- Friday's meeting will be the fifth all-time between Bryant and UC Davis. The Aggies hold a 4-0 all-time lead over the Bulldogs.
- The teams last squared off in 2015, when Bryant traveled to Davis, California to meet with the Aggies.
A bit about the Aggies
- UC Davis comes into Friday's matchup 0-6 overall. The Aggies have played four games against ranked opponents, most recently heading to No. 7 Michigan, where the Wolverines clawed their way to a 4-0 victory.
- Cohen Madison and Kim van der Muelen each have three points for the Aggies, which lead the team. Daniella Schoenfeld has the other Aggie goal in 2017.
- In goal, UC Davis is led by Chelsea Bigelow. Bigelow has played every minute this season in goal for the Aggies and has a 4.19 goals-allowed average to her name.
- The head coach of the Aggies is Britt Broady, who is in her first year with the program. Broady previously served as an assistant coach at Louisville, where she worked under Justine Sowry. The Dartmouth College graduate spent nine seasons at Louisville.
Opponent: Columbia University
Date: Sept. 17, 2017
Game Time: 4 p.m. EDT
Live Stream: Ivy League Network (Subscription needed)
Live Stats: Columbia Athletics
- Sunday's game will be the third meeting in the history of the two programs. Columbia leads the all-time series, 2-0.
- The Lions and Bulldogs last met up in 2016, when Bryant hosted Columbia in Providence.
A bit about the Lions
- Columbia heads into the weekend with a 1-3 record in 2017. In their last game, the Lions topped MAAC-foe Fairfield, 4-3 in overtime. Columbia will play Hofstra on Friday.
- Michelle Thompson leads the Lions with two goals and an assist to total five points on the season. She's tied by Maeve Doherty (one goal, three assists) for the team lead in scoring.
- The Lions are led by head coach Caroline Nelson-Nichols, who is in her third season at Columbia. Entering the season, Nelson-Nichols has led the program to a 17-17 record
Bulldogs Notes and Notables
- Freshman Alex Neumann (Auckland, New Zealand) currently leads the Bulldogs with three goals and an assist, totaling seven points. At Dartmouth last Sunday, Neumann scored and added an assist.
- Senior Keighan Richardson (North Attleboro, Massachusetts) leads Bryant with three assists, including a two-assist outing at Dartmouth. Richardson acts as the primary inserter during penalty corners.
- Junior Victoria Newbill (Wilton, Maine) continues to build on her impressive season. Newbill has set a career high in points just seven games into the season, scoring two goals and adding two assists to total six points.
- Bryant's captains in 2017 are seniors Grace Farrell (Milford, Pennsylvania), Keighan Richardson (North Attleboro, Massachusetts), and Bethany Winkin (Winslow, Maine).