BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Sophomore forward Clare Luttrell (Freehold, N.J.) scored her first collegiate goal and classmate Floor van Dommelen (Berg en Dal, Netherlands) added another, but it was not enough as the Bryant University field hockey team fell to LIU Brooklyn on Saturday, 3-2, at LIU Field in Brooklyn.
LIU Brooklyn 3, Bryant 2
Records: Bryant (3-14, 1-3 MAAC) LIU Brooklyn (3-12, 3-2 MAAC)
Location: LIU Field (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
COACH DE VRIES' COMMENTS
"Congratulations goes out to LIU Brooklyn," Bryant coach Joppe de Vries said after the game. "They kept on fighting for 70 minutes. A big positive from today was that we were able to go from down a goal to fight back and take a 2-1 lead. We just lost focus when Brooklyn tied the game."
Tied at two, LIU Brooklyn's Madi Cook scored off a Blackbirds penalty corner to score the game-winning goal.
- 14th minute – LIU Brooklyn 1, Bryant 0 – Gillian Vallaster opened the scoring for the Blackbirds, collecting a rebound and shooting it past the Bryant goalkeeper for the game's first score.
- 31st minute – LIU Brooklyn 1, Bryant 1 – Luttrell scored as her and Bethany Winkin (Winslow, Maine) had a two-on-one breakaway. Winkin was able to draw the goalkeeper out of position and pass over to Luttrell, whose shot found the back of the net for her first-career strike.
- 39th minute – LIU Brooklyn 1, Bryant 2 – van Dommelen connected on a shot from a penalty corner. Keighan Richardson (North Attleboro, Mass.) inserted directly to Alex Neumann (Auckland, New Zealand), who brought defenders to her and away from van Dommelen. Neumann was able to connect on a pass with the Netherlands native and van Dommelen scored to take a 2-1 lead.
- 43rd minute – LIU Brooklyn 2, Bryant 2 – Vallaster connected on her second goal of the game on a centering pass from Jenna Chrabolowksi.
- 58th minute – LIU Brooklyn 3, Bryant 2 – Cook's goal was the game-winner, as Bryant was unable to equalize the game after the score on a corner piece.
- van Dommelen had four shots on goal, the most of any Bulldog in a game this season.
- Junior Victoria Newbill (Wilton, Maine) sent a shot on goal in the closing seconds of the game, but LIU Brooklyn's Molly Jannell came up with a save to stop the Bulldogs attempt at knotting the game at three.
- Richardson's assist was her team-best fourth of the season.
- Both goalies made seven saves in Saturday's affair.
The Bulldogs are back in action Friday, Oct. 27 when they host Monmouth at Goldberger Family Field in Providence, R.I. The game will also serve as Bryant's Senior Day celebration, honoring the careers of Keighan Richardson (North Attleboro, Mass.), Grace Farrell (Milford, Pa.), and Bethany Winkin (Winslow, Maine).