Hofstra slips by men's tennis, 4-3
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – The Bryant University men's tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to Hofstra University on Saturday at the Hofstra Tennis Center.
The Bulldogs fall to 11-6 on the season after losing two in a row for just the second time this season, while the Pride improve to 7-8 on the year.
Hofstra moved ahead by a point after taking 2-of-3 doubles matches to take the early lead. Freshmen duo Richard Sipala (Quogue, N.Y.) and Joshua Rubinstein (Trumbull, Conn.) accounted for the lone Bryant doubles win, as the pair notched an 8-4 victory over Ryhaan Gill and Jason Sinkoff in the No. 3 flight.
Moving to singles, the Bulldogs went ahead by a 2-1 margin with victories at the #5 and #3 matches. Freshman Ernesto Arguello (Managua, Nicaragua) cruised to a 6-0, 6-3 win over Matthew Gemmell in the No. 3 flight while sophomore Vidith Huot (Providence, R.I.) earned a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Gill at No. 5.
But the Pride would clinch the match with three straight victories in the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 6 flights to move ahead by an insurmountable 4-2 advantange. Freshman Juan Gonzalez-Paz (San Juan, Puerto Rico) accounted for the lone other Bulldog victory of the day in the #4 spot, but that win proved to be too little, too late, as the Bulldogs were forced to settle for the season split against the Pride after downing Hofstra earlier in the year.
The Bulldogs face a quick turnaround on Sunday (April 15), traveling to Stony Brook for a match set for 12 p.m.
Hofstra 4, Bryant 3
1. Ari Richman/Adrien Bailly (H) def. Ernestor Arguello/Juan Gonzalez-Paz (B), 8-3
2. Matthew Gemmell/Antonio Pena (H) def. Peter Hart-Callahan/Connor Crowley (B), 8-2
3. Richard Sipala/Joshua Rubenstein (B) def. Ryhaan Gill/Jason Sinkoff (H), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Antonio Pena (H) def Zachary Morris (B), 6-4, 6-4,
2. Ari Richman (H) def. Dana Parziale (B), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. Ernesto Arguello (B) def. Matthew Gemmell (H), 6-0, 6-3
4. Juan Gonzalez-Paz (B) def. Adrien Bailly (H), 7-5, 5-7, 6-3
5. Vidith Huot (B) def. Ryhaan Gill (H), 6-3, 6-1
6. Jason Sinkoff (H) def. Richard Sipala (B), 6-2, 7-6 (9-1)
Order of Finish: 5,3,1,2,6,4