SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team opened its season with a pair of victories over Ivy League opponents on the first day of the Ivy Plus in New Haven, Conn.
HOW IT HAPPENED (DOUBLES)
- Brothers Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) and Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) earned a thrilling 8-6 victory over the Boston University duo of Pedro Gutierrez and Satyajit Simhadri. The brothers will face a doubles team from Harvard on Saturday.
- The freshmen duo of Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) and Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand) fell 8-1 to the Yale duo of Nathan Brown and Dennis Wang. They will face a doubles team from Marist on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED (SINGLES)
- Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia started the year strong with a three-set victory over Brown's Ben Collier. He fell 6-7 (7) in the first set before rebounding to take the set, 6-3, 7-6 (4). Ortiz-Garcia then faced Dartmouth's Casey Ross, falling 6-0, 6-2. He will face Yale's Dennis Wang on Saturday.
- Massam was dealt a 6-2, 6-2 defeat in his first singles match but bounced back to win 6-1, 7-6 (5) against Marist's Christopher Gladden. He will face BU's Simhadri on Saturday.
- Jorge Ortiz-Garcia opened up his singles season with a victory over Penn's Matthew Lambert. He defeated the Ivy League opponent, 6-2, 6-4 and will face another opponent from the Ivy League on Saturday, Brown's Teddy van Eck.
- Pertile dropped his first singles match of the year, falling to Dartmouth's Eddie Grabill, 6-2, 6-3. He will face Harvard's Xavier Gonzalez on Saturday.
- Redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) dropped both of his matches at the Oracle ITA Masters in Malibu, Calif. He fell to the No. 3 player in the country, Wake Forest's Petros Chrysochos, 6-2, 7-5 on Thursday and lost to UCSB's Simon Freund, 6-1, 6-2, on Friday.
The Bulldogs continue play in the Ivy Plus on Saturday beginning at 9:00 a.m.