SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The doubles team of brothers Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) and Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) picked up two more victories to highlight the second day of the Ivy Plus for the Bryant University men's tennis team.
COACH GENDRON'S THOUGHTS
"Reports from Coach Lomax say Jorge and Jorge have looked like a ranked team in doubles, with the older of the two brothers looking better than ever. We are excited to be entering the fall with our guys looking strong."
HOW IT HAPPENED (DOUBLES)
- The Ortiz-Garcia brothers opened their day with a decisive 8-1 victory over the Harvard duo of Solomon/Ball. They followed that up by soundly defeating Penn's duo of Smithline/Lambert, 8-3.
- Freshmen Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) and Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand) picked up a victory over the Marist duo of Chanthalangsy/Massa, 8-3, before falling to Gutierrez/Simhadri, 8-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED (SINGLES)
- Jorge Ortiz-Garcia continued his strong play with a convincing victory over Brown's van Eck, 6-0, 7-5.
- Younger brother Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia also won in singles, defeating Yales' Dennis Wang in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
- Pertile faced Harvard's Gonzalez and fell 7-5, 6-3.
- Massam took BU's Simhadri to three sets but could not come away victorious, falling 6-2, 3-6, 2-6.
The Bulldogs wrap up play at the Ivy Plus Sunday with matches beginning at 9:00 a.m.