SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team completed the first day of the Brown Invitational on Friday afternoon in Providence.
COACH GENDRON'S THOUGHTS
"Today was an average outing. Effort was great, behavior and attitude were solid. Matt [Kuhar] and Luke [Lorenz], along with Guido [Argentini] and Trent [Massam] competed extremely well. We are looking for more today. We need a little more grit out of every spot."
HOW IT HAPPENED (DOUBLES)
- Redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) defeated the Boston College duo of Derek Austin and Chris Grasel, 6-4.
- Sophomores Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Andrew Quiros (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) took down the Boston University duo of David Bogatin and Pete Siozis, 6-3.
- The doubles team of brothers Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) and Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) fell to Villanova's Stefan Suarez and Mike Czionka, 6-3.
- Redshirt senior Nick Lamart (Raleigh, N.C.) and freshman Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.) were defeated by BC's Will Turner and Jeffrey Melvin, 6-2.
- In the indoor bracket, junior Scott Plutt (Weston, Fla.) and sophomore Anshumat Srivastava (Patna, India) were defeated, 6-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED (SINGLES)
- After taking the doubles point, Kuhar and Lorenz swept the singles portion Friday. Kuhar defeated Austin, 6-2, 6-3, while Lorenz beat Grasel, 7-5, 6-2.
- Argentini won his singles matchup over Bogatin, 7-5, 3-6, 10-5. Quiros was defeated by Siozis, 2-6, 6-2, 12-10.
- Suarez and Jorge Ortiz-Garcia battled for three sets, with Suarez earning a 6-4, 3-6, 10-8 victory. Freshman Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand) played the singles portion of the group and defeated Flanagan, 6-4, 6-1.
- Lamart bounced back to earn a three-set victory over Turner, 4-6, 6-4, 10-4, while Dong was defeated, 6-4, 6-1.
- Boston College took both singles in the indoor event, with Plutt falling, 7-6, 5-7, 10-4, and Srivastava losing 6-2, 6-4.
The Bulldogs will continue play in the Brown Invitational on Saturday. Matches are set to begin Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m.