SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University softball team will play two non-conference midweek games this week, taking a break from NEC play. The Bulldogs will head to the University of Connecticut on Tuesday before hosting UMass Lowell on Wednesday. Both games are slated for a 4 p.m. start time.
- UConn boasts a 10-1 advantage in the all-time series with the Bulldogs.
- UMass Lowell and Bryant have met five times previous, with the Black and Gold owning a 4-1 record over the River Hawks.
BULLDOG NOTES AND NOTABLES
- Bryant enters the week with a 7-18 overall record.
- Wednesday's game will be the home-opener for the Black and Gold.
- Freshman Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) leads the Bulldogs with a .302 average at the plate.
- Five Bulldogs share the team lead with two home runs. Junior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) hit her second of the season on Friday against Fairleigh Dickinson, a game in which she went 3-for-5 with four RBI. Senior Gianna Pizzano (Saugus, Mass.) also hit her second dinger of the season, a two-run shot to ignite a six-run eighth inning to lift the Bulldogs over the Knights. Junior Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) and freshmen Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) and Alexandra Hickey (St. John, Ind.) also share the team lead.
- In the circle, redshirt junior Logan Paul (Shaker Heights, Ohio) owns a 4-1 record. She last earned a win over FDU, throwing 1.1 innings in relief and only allowing one walk.
- Freshman pitcher Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) leads Bryant with 33 strikeouts in 36 innings pitched. She earned her first career win at Hartford on March 25.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
- UConn enters Tuesday's game with a 13-23 overall record on the season. The team last played a three-game series against Wichita State, getting swept by the Shockers.
- Olivia Sappington leads the Huskies in most offensive categories, including batting average (.275), home runs (5) and RBI (15).
- In the circle, Jill Stockley has seen the majority of innings for UConn. Stockley is 6-10 on the season with a 2.44 ERA. In 203.1 innings, the pitcher has struck out 66 batters and allowed 101 hits.
- The Huskies are coached by Jen McIntyre, who is in her fourth season in Storrs. McIntyre is 67-122 since joining the program.
- UMass Lowell is 8-17 coming into Wednesday's game, having nothing slated for Tuesday. The River Hawks took on UMBC this past weekend, taking two of three from the Retrievers to open America East play.
- Marianne Sparacia leads UML with a .348 average with one home run and four RBI.
- Casey Harding is the River Hawks' presence in the middle of the lineup, leading the team with four home runs and 13 RBI.
- Lovina Capria and Kaysee Talcik have split innings for the River Hawk pitching staff. Lovina leads the team with a 7-3 record and a 2.56 ERA, while Talcik leads UML with 57 strikeouts in 69 innings pitched.
- The River Hawks are coached by former Olympic gold medalist Danielle Henderson, who is in her fourth season with the program. Henderson has led UMass Lowell to a 57-105 record heading into Wednesday.