Hawks top Bulldogs, 2-0

Hawks top Bulldogs, 2-0

SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's soccer team saw a two-game unbeaten streak come to an end on Sunday, Sept. 25, falling to Monmouth University, 2-0, at Sutton Field.

The Hawks (4-4, 1-0 Northeast Conference) were able to tack on goals in both halves, and withstood 19 shot attempts by the Bulldogs (4-4-2, 1-1 NEC) to pull out the victory on a humid afternoon in the first game played at Sutton Field this season.  Monmouth goalkeeper Jocelyn McCoy recorded six saves in a winning effort, while Bulldog netminder Kelsi Jacob (Mahwah, N.J.) turned away two shots in the loss.

Bryant controlled play for the majority of the first half, but Monmouth – which was picked to finish second in the conference prior to the start of the season – was able to break the scoreless deadlock in the 22nd minute.  After a shot by Courtney Snyder was blocked by the defense, Dana Costello came up with a turnover inside the box and shot it high into the right corner of the net, putting the visitors on top 1-0.

Despite that first-half strike, Bryant had a number of chances, amassing nine shot attempts with five of them on net during the first 45 minutes of the game.  As has been the case most of the season, the Bulldogs were thwarted by shots ringing off the iron, as Bryant hit three more posts in today's affair.  Junior Alex Bengston (Andover, Mass.), who had a game-high four shots with three on target, nearly tied the game in the waning moments of the first half, but her shot rang off the crossbar in the 43rd minute to keep Monmouth on top.

That trend continued minutes after the start of the second half, as senior tri-captain Kaitlyn Hinck (Bow, N.H.) attempted a tough-angle shot close to the goal line that also hit the post.  Both teams were kept off the board until the 60th minute, when Snyder found a loose ball off a turnover and shot it high into the left corner of the net, doubling the Hawks' lead at 2-0.

After that strike, Bryant turned up the intensity, reeling off five shots and earning four corner kicks, but was unable to crack one past Monmouth.  A late header by Hinck in the 85th minute hit the post again, and that would be the closet Bryant would get for the remainder of the game.

In total, the Bulldogs owned a 12-2 edge in corner kicks, while outshooting the Hawks 19-9.  Both teams were called four seven fouls.

Bryant will rest up and return to the pitch on Friday, Sept. 30, continuing conference play against Central Connecticut State to cap off the last game of a four-game homestand.  Game time at Bulldog Stadium is set for 3:30 p.m.

For continuing coverage of Bryant women's soccer, check back at www.bryantbulldogs.com, and follow the Bulldogs on Twitter @BryantAthletics.