WOMEN'S TENNIS STAYS UNDEFEATED IN NEC, TOPPING THE MOUNT, 5-2, THURSDAY
SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team snapped its two-game skid, topping Mount St. Mary's, 5-2, Thursday afternoon in Emmitsburg, Md.
The Bulldogs swept doubles play, as senior Marcela Brandao (Santo Andre, Brazil) and junior Stephanie Smyers (Pittsburg, Pa.) topped Renne Deane/Carly Landini, 8-4, in the first positions. The duo of Lucy Bird (Hamilton, New Zealand) and Rosie Bird (Hamilton, New Zealand) defeated Kelly Conry and Taylor D'Agostino, 8-6, while Devlin-Ann Ammendola (Massapequa, N.Y.) and Jovana Hadzi-Tanovic (Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro) overcame Liz Rossi and Jenny Smith, 8-7 (9-7), to earn the clean sweep for Bryant.
In singles action, Brandao earned her second victory of the afternoon over Deane, 6-1, 6-2, in the #2 position and Ammendola topped Rossi in straight-sets, 6-0, 6-4. Lucy Bird took care of Smith handily, 6-0, 6-0, while Hadzi-Tanovic defeated D'Agostino, 6-2, 6-2, to secure the victory for the Black and Gold.
Bryant improves to 7-4 overall this season with the win, 2-0 in NEC play. The Bulldogs will close their Spring Break trip on Friday when they visit Georgetown.
For all the latest news on the Bryant University women's tennis team, visit BryantBulldogs.com.
1. Marcela Brandao/Stephanie Smyers (BU) def. Renee Deane/Carly Landini (MSM)- 8-4
2. Lucy Bird/Rosie Bird (BU) def. Kelly Conroy/Taylor D'Agostino (MSM)- 8-6
3. Devlin-Ann Ammendola/Jovana Hadzi-Tanovic (BU) def. Liz Rossi/Jenny Smith (MSM)- 8-7 (9-7)
1. Kelly Conroy (MSM) def. Rosie Bird (BU)- 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
2. Marcela Brandao (BU) def. Renee Deane (MSM)- 6-1, 6-2
3. Carly Landini (MSM) def. Stephanie Smyers (BU)- 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
4. Devlin-Ann Ammendola (BU) def. Liz Rossi (MSM)- 6-0, 6-4
5. Lucy Bird (BU) def. Jenny Smith (MSM)- 6-0, 6-0
6. Jovana Hadzi-Tanovic (BU) def. Taylor D'Agostino (MSM)- 6-2, 6-2