SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team opens its fall season this weekend as it competes at the West Point Invitational hosted by Army in West Point, N.Y.
Event: West Point Invitational
Location: West Point, N.Y.
About the West Point Invitational
- Each day's action will begin at 9 a.m. at both the Lichtenberg Tennis Center (indoors) and the Malek Tennis Center (outdoor), weather permitting.
- The 16-team field includes Bryant, Army, Binghamton, Colgate, Fairfield, Fairleigh Dickinson, Fordham, Lehigh, Marist, NJIT, Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, St. Bonaventure, Seton Hall, Syracuse and Wagner.
Coach Cilli's thoughts on the weekend
"I am just looking forward to watching them play. It's our first competition of the season and we have a lot to sort through to prepare for the spring season. We are going to try some new doubles pairings and we are going to start to formulate a lineup. It all starts this weekend. It's go time!"
Bulldogs Notes and Notables
- The Bulldogs qualified for their fifth-straight Northeast Conference Tournament last season, falling to Fairleigh Dickinson (4-3) in the semi-finals.
- Bryant welcomes back two of its three doubles teams and four its six singles players from last year's final match.
- The Black and Gold's 11-player roster also includes sophomore Aleksi Gottlieb (Plantation, Fla.), redshirt freshman Megan Tan (Calgary, Alberta) and five true freshmen.
- Of those returning, four were named All-NEC at the conclusion of last season.
- Senior Stefanie Arroyo (Gurabo, Puerto Rico) earned first team honors at No. 5 singles.
- Classmates Ashanti Campfield (Stratford, Conn.) and Nina Luiggi (Nottingham, England) earned All-NEC First Team honors at No. 2 doubles.
- Luiggi also earned All-NEC Second Team honors at No. 4 singles.
- Senior Linnea Sjoberg (Stockholm, Sweden) picked up second team honors at No. 2 singles.
- Bryant has won eight or more matches six times in the last seven years.