SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's tennis team opened its fall season with a solid performance on day one of the West Point Invitational Friday.
COACH CILLI'S COMMENTS
"Considering this was our first event of the fall, the team did well. The new doubles teams played well, pushing Army to a tie break at one doubles and a 7-5 at three. In singles, we still have four players moving into the second round tomorrow. Overall, it was a good first day."
HOW IT HAPPENED (Doubles)
- Senior Linnea Sjoberg (Stockholm, Sweden) and freshman Caterina Luisa Rokke (Oslo, Norway) defeated Sacred Heart's Brianne Lauria and Olivia Podsiebieski 7-6 (3) in their first match of the day. They were then defeated by Army's Gloria Son and Kirby Einck in a wild match, 7-6 (7).
- Senior classmates Nina Luiggi (Nottingham, England) and Ashanti Campfield (Stratford, Conn.) defeated Wagner's Vedika Anand and Samantha Hodges, 6-0, before falling to the St. Bonaventure duo of Gabriella Bowe and Kahlei Reisinger, 6-4.
- Senior Stefanie Arroyo (Gurabo, Puerto Rico) and freshman Arianna Oropeza Petersen (Weston, Fla.) defeated NJIT's Amanda Helminsky and Ines Vujkovac, 6-1, before falling 6-4 in the following round.
- The doubles team of redshirt freshman Megan Tan (Calgary, Alberta) and sophomore Aleksi Gottlieb (Plantation, Fla.) fell in the first round, 6-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Singles)
- Playing in the 'A' draw, Rokke was defeated 6-0, 6-3 by Mayar Eltony from NJIT.
- Also in 'A', Sjoberg defeated Fairfield's Sarah Stuhlmann, 6-4, 6-4, to advance to the round of 16 tomorrow.
- Oropeza Petersen battled in the first set with Seton Hall's Thandy Kangwa but ultimately fell, 7-6 (3), 6-1.
- Tan was defeated by Quinnipiac's Scarlett Blydenburgh, 6-2, 6-0 in the first round.
- Facing the No. 4 seed in the 'C' flight, Arroyo gave Fordham's Gianna Insogna everything she could handle, falling 7-6 (5), 6-4.
- Campfield won a wild match against Fairfield's Anna Komer in the 'C' flight. She defeated Komer, 6-4, 1-6, 13-11 and will now face the No. 2 seed in the flight, Army's Sasha Inchauste.
- Gottlieb earned a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Army's Leslie Frankland in the 'D' flight and will face the No. 1 seed in the flight on Saturday.
- Gabrielle Bergeron (Quebec, Canada), the No. 6 seed in the 'D' flight, defeated Sacred Heart's Laura Crivei, 7-6, 7-6.
The Bulldogs continue competition at the West Point Invitational on Saturday. Matches begin at 9:00 a.m.