SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Sophomore Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) and freshman Tyler Schoff (Lee Center, N.Y.) were named the Bill Conaty Black and Gold World Series MVPs after helping Gold rally past Black on Saturday afternoon at Conaty Park.
Gold 8, Black 3
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
COACH OWENS'S COMMENTS
"It was a well-played, high energy game! I was very pleased with the infield defense and the amount of double plays turned today. We are comfortable with where we are at offensively and it was good to see the pitching and defense show well today. Those areas will continue to be our primary focus in the individual phase of our season preparation."
- Black loaded the bases in the top of the first with a triple from junior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) and two walks, but Wright was able to get out of the jam. After intentionally walking sophomore Jimmy Titus (Stafford, Conn.) to load the bases, Wright induced an inning-ending 1-2-3 double play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Gold jumped out to a quick lead with two runs in the first. Junior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) was hit by a pitch and came around to score on a sac fly from redshirt freshman Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.). Wright then followed with a long home run to make it 2-0.
- Panno and Ward were in the middle of things again in the third as Panno tripled and scored on a Ward single to make it 3-0.
- Gold put the game away late, scoring two more runs in the seventh. Sophomore James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) singled, Ward was hit by a pitch and both came around to score on a double from Wright.
- Black got on the board in the sixth on an RBI single from senior Mickey Gasper (Merrimack, N.H.). Classmate Malik Daley (Northborough, Mass.) doubled to open the inning and Gasper scored him with a two-out single.
- Black then added two runs in the eighth. After a single from Gasper and a Titus walk, redshirt junior Nolan Hayward (Glendale, R.I.) drilled an RBI double. Sophomore Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) made it 8-3 with a sac fly.
- Wright and Schoff combined to shutout Black over the first five innings on Saturday. Wright gave up two hits and walked three over two scoreless innings, while Schoff struck out three and allowed three hits over three scoreless.
- Freshman Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) started for Black and allowed three runs over three innings.
- Panno finished 2-for-3 with a triple and an RBI.
- Ward went 1-for-2 with two RBI and a stolen base.
- In addition to his two scoreless innings, Wright finished 2-for-3 with a home run and four RBI.
- Gasper finished 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for Black.
- Hayward walked twice, doubled and drove in a run.
- Cruz doubled twice and drove in a run.
- The two teams combined to turn four double plays on the afternoon.
- In addition to the score, the Black and Gold World Series also features 'skins'. Win the inning, win a skin.
- Black went into the day leading 9-2 but Gold dominated on Saturday, winning 11 of a possible 13 skins.
- Saturday's final numbers gave Gold a 13-11 win in the final skins count, giving them the victory.