TUCSON, Ariz. – Junior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) limited the University of Arizona to one unearned run on two hits over seven innings but the Wildcats were able to scratch out a 4-0 victory in the first game of a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon at Hi Corbett Field.
Bryant and Arizona were scheduled to open the 2018 season on Friday night but rain forced the two teams to play a doubleheader on Saturday.
Making his first-career opening day start, Theetge matched his career high in innings, didn't walk a batter and threw just 71 pitches.
Bryant 0, Arizona 4
Records: Bryant (0-1), Arizona (1-0)
Location: Hi Corbett Field (Tucson, Ariz.)
W|L|S: Cody Deason (1-0) | Steve Theetge (0-1) | Megill (1)
COACH OWENS'S COMMENTS
"I am pleased with everything except the outcome. We were right there. We got a great start and had really good at-bats. Our defensive miscues allowed them to win the game."
- Arizona put the first two runners on in the fifth but Theetge appeared poised to escape the inning without any damage as a 5-3 double play left a runner at second with two outs. Cameron Cannon, however, delivered a two-out RBI single to put the Wildcats ahead.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bryant opened the game with back-to-back singles from junior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) and redshirt-freshman Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.). Angelini, however, was caught stealing at third and a pair of fly outs stranded two.
- Arizona also opened the game with a base hit but senior Mickey Gasper (Merrimack, N.H.) retired Cal Stevenson trying to steal second to end the first inning.
- Theetge retired 11-straight Wildcats from the first through the fourth inning before hitting Cesar Salazar to open the fifth.
- The hit by pitch and an infield error started a Wildcat rally in the 5th. Theetge induced a 5-3 double play to get the first two outs but Cannon made it 1-0 with a two-out single up the middle.
- Arizona starter Cody Deason also settled down and did not allow another Bulldog hit until sophomore James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) led off the fifth with a bloop single to left.
- The Wildcats added three insurance runs in the eighth inning off Bryant's bullpen. An infield error, walk and an intentional walk loaded the bases with one out. Cal Stevenson and Alfonso Rivas followed with back-to-back singles to make it 4-0.
- Theetge went seven innings and allowed one unearned run on two hits. He didn't walk a batter and struck out one on the afternoon.
- Ward finished 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Angelini reached base twice with a single and a walk.
- Ciliento also reached base twice with a single and a walk.
- Deason tossed seven scoreless for Arizona, allowing just three hits. He walked five and struck out three.
- Stevenson was the only Wildcat to finish with multiple hits, while Rivas drove in two.
- Theetge's start was the longest by a Bulldog on opening day since Eric Polvani tossed a complete game (8 IP) in the 2010 opener against Nicholls State.
- Since 2010, a Bryant starter had not pitched past the sixth on opening day.
- Theetge didn't walk a batter in a start for the fourth time in his career. Three of the four have come in his last five starts.
- Saturday was the eighth time in his career that Theetge has pitched seven innings.
- Ward collected the fourth multi-hit game of his career.
The Bulldogs and Wildcats wrap up Saturday's doubleheader with an 8:00 p.m. EST first pitch.