SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team travels to Alabama this weekend for a three-game series against SEC-member Auburn.
Bryant and Auburn open their series on Friday night at 6:00 p.m. EST. The series continues with a 2:00 p.m. EST first pitch on Saturday and a 1:00 p.m. EST first pitch on Sunday.
Location: Plainsman Park | Auburn, Ala.
Times (all times EST): Gm 1 – 6pm | Gm 2 – 2pm | Gm 3 – 1pm
Game Notes: Bryant | Auburn
Friday – Steve Theetge (0-1, 0.00 ERA) vs. Casey Mize (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
Saturday – Jack Patterson (0-1, 3.60 ERA) vs. Davis Daniel (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
Sunday – Vito Morgese (0-1, 19.29 ERA) vs. Tanner Burns (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
Bryant will go with the same starting rotation it had opening weekend, with junior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) set to go on Friday. Theetge allowed one unearned run on two hits over seven innings in his opening day start at Arizona.
Auburn's starting rotation didn't allow a run last weekend, combining to strike out 16 batters in 14 innings. Mize is regarded as one of the top pro prospects in the country, while Burns struck out six over five scoreless in his collegiate debut last Sunday.
- Bryant and Auburn will be meeting for the first time in program history.
- The Bulldogs will be playing a team from the SEC for the third-straight year (Kentucky – 2016, Arkansas – 2017).
- Bryant and Auburn have met twice in softball.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- The Bulldogs opened their season last weekend at Arizona.
- Theetge was named the Northeast Conference Pitcher of the Week after allowing one unearned run on two hits over seven innings.
- Freshman Sam Owens (Scituate, R.I.) was named the NEC Rookie of the Week after going 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI in his only start.
- Sophomore James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) was Bryant's top hitter, going 5-for-10 with a .583 OBP.
- Junior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) went 4-for-12 on the weekend and hit his second-career home run.
Scouting the Tigers
- The Tigers are coming off a 37-win season in 2017 that saw them come within an out of advancing to a Super Regional.
- Auburn enters the weekend with a perfect 5-0 record, it's best start since 2001. The Tigers swept Longwood, outscoring the Lancers 34-1. They then won a pair of one-run games against Georgia State and Troy during the midweek.
- Friday starter Casey Mize is regarded as one of the top pitching prospects in the country. He was named to the Golden Spikes Award Preseason Watch List and struck out seven over six scoreless innings in his first start this spring.
- Three regulars are hitting over .400 for Auburn, led by Brendan Venter. He's hitting .467 (7-15) with a home run and six RBI.
- As a team, the Tigers are hitting .320 and have outscored their opponents, 43-8.