COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Four Bryant University baseball pitchers combined on a one-hitter as the Bulldogs opened their weekend with a 7-3 victory over the University of Maryland on Friday afternoon.
Senior Jack Patterson (Suffield, Conn.) pitched the first 6 2/3 innings, while freshman Matthew Stansky (Douglas, Mass.), senior Logan Lessard (Cromwell, Conn.) and junior Nathan Wrighter (Windsor, N.Y.) combined to get the final seven outs. Patterson allowed the only hit, walked seven and struck out four in his first win of the year.
Bryant's 5-6-7 hitters – sophomores James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) and Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) and freshman Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) – combined for seven hits, four RBI and three runs scored.
Bryant 7, Maryland 3
Records: Bryant (3-7), Maryland (7-6)
Location: Bob "Turtle" Smith Stadium (College Park, Md.)
W|L|S: Jack Patterson (1-1) | Taylor Bloom (2-2) | -
Coach Owens' Comments
"We got a really competitive start from Jack Patterson. We were finally able to get deep into the game with a quality start. We had excellent relief pitching from Logan and Nate, especially Logan pitching out of a really tough situation. The middle of our lineup - James, Chris, Shane - did a really good job of getting some extra-base hits and knocking some runs in."
- With two outs and a runner on second in the third, Ciliento and Wright hit back-to-back doubles to make it a 4-0 game. Both hits came with two strikes.
- Lessard was summoned to face Maryland's top hitter, Nick Dunn, with the bases loaded in a 5-2 game. After being called for a balk, Lessard composed himself and induced a pop in front of the mound that he caught to strand the tying runs in scoring position.
- Holding a 5-3 lead in the ninth, the Bulldogs scored two runs without the benefit of the hit to push the lead to four.
How it happened
- Bryant struck first, scoring a run in the top of the second. Ciliento opened the inning with a double off the center field fence and Wright singled through the right side to score him.
- In the third, Bryant pushed its lead to 4-0 with three runs on three hits. Junior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) started things with a one-out single and then moved himself around the bases. He stole second and third and then scored on a wild pitch to make it 2-0. Ciliento and Wright then clubbed back-to-back doubles to make it 4-0.
- The Terps got one back in the bottom of the third. A walk and a single opened the inning before a sac bunt moved both into scoring position. Nick Dunn brought home the run with a ground out to short.
- It remained 4-1 until the Black and Gold added a run in the top of the seventh. Junior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) walked and Ciliento beat out a chopper to the right to put two on. Kelly then singled through the left side to score Panno and make it 5-1.
- Maryland closed the gap in its half of the seventh, scoring twice without recording a hit. Patterson walked three to load the bases with two outs before a wild pitch from Stansky scored a run. Lessard then entered and was called for a balk, allowing another run to score. Lessard ended the inning by catching a pop up in front of the mound.
- Bryant added two insurance runs without the benefit of a hit in the top of the ninth. A walk and a hit batter put the first two runners on but a sac bunt turned into a double play and seemed to end the Bryant rally. A hit batter and a walk, however, reloaded the bases and a wild pitch scored a run to make it 6-3. After another walk reloaded the bases, another wild pitch accounted for the final run.
- The Bulldogs finished with eight hits, drew eight walks and were also hit twice.
- Patterson allowed three runs on one hits, walked seven and struck out four over 6 2/3 innings.
- Lessard tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings, striking out one.
- Wrighter pitched a perfect ninth, punching out two.
- Panno reached base twice with a walk and a HBP and also scored two runs.
- Ciliento went 3-for-5 with two doubles, an RBI and two runs scored.
- Wright reached safely four times, going 2-for-3 with a double, two RBI and a run scored.
- Kelly also reached safely four times, going 2-for-3 with an RBI and two walks. He also stole his first-career base.
- Bloom suffered the loss, allowing four runs on six hits over 5 2/3 innings. Justin Morris had the only Maryland hit.
- Bryant is now 2-8 all-time against Maryland. It is the first time the Bulldogs have won the Friday game against the Terps.
- The one-hitter is the first since James Karinchak one-hit Wagner on April 8, 2017.
- The seven runs are the most scored by the Bulldogs in the 10 games between the two teams.
- Bryant has now won three-straight games for the first time this year. The Bulldogs have not made an error in each of the three games.
- Patterson walked a career-high seven batters in the game. His previous career high was five on Mar. 1, 2015.
- Friday was Patterson's second-career appearance at Maryland. He made his collegiate debut at Smith Stadium on Feb. 23, 2014.
- Ciliento posted his fourth multi-hit game of the year and the 12th of his career. It was first first-career three-hit game and the second time he's had at least three.
- Wright's multi-hit game was his second of the year and the 15th of his career. He drove in multiple runs for the second time this season and 10th time in his career.
- Kelly posted his second multi-hit game of the year and now has driven in a run in three-straight games.
- With two stolen bases, Angelini became the seventh player in DI program history with 30+ in a career. He is seventh with 31.
- Wrighter's scoreless ninth was the 19th scoreless outing of his career.
Bryant and Maryland continue their series on Saturday with a 2:00 p.m. first pitch.