COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Freshman Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) drove in four runs and finished a triple shy of the cycle, while sophomore James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) posted three hits for the second-straight game but the University of Maryland outscored the Bryant University baseball team, 12-6, on Saturday afternoon.
Kelly went 3-for-4, drove in a career-high four runs and hit his first-career home run as part of a 16-hit attack for the Black and Gold. Ciliento went 3-for-3 and tied a career-high with three runs scored.
Maryland, however, erased a 1-0 deficit with five runs in the third and then added four two-out runs in the seventh to even the weekend series.
Bryant 6, Maryland 12
Records: Bryant (3-8), Maryland (8-6)
Location: Bob "Turtle" Smith Stadium (College Park, Md.)
W|L|S: Steve Theetge (0-4) | Tyler Blohm (2-1) |
Coach Owens' Comments
"We gave up a big inning early in the game which switched momentum. I thought our hitters did a solid job of creating scoring opportunities in multiple innings. We didn't pitch well enough to win the game."
- Trailing, 1-0, Maryland opened the third with four-straight singles and went on to score five runs on six hits (five singles).
- After Bryant made it a one-run game, 5-4, the Terrapins scored twice in the bottom of the sixth and four times with two outs in the seventh to pull away.
How it happened
- Bryant got on the board early, scoring a run in the top of the first. Junior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) and senior Mickey Gasper (Merrimack, N.H.) collected back-to-back singles before a ground out put runners on the corners with two outs. The Bulldogs then put junior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) in motion from first and the Terps threw to second. Panno got in a rundown, allowing Angelini to sneak in from third before the third out.
- Maryland erased the lead with five runs on six hits in the bottom of the third. Four-straight singles to open the inning tied the game and a sac fly made it 2-1. Kevin Biondic scored a run with a double and A.J. Lee capped the inning with a two-out, two-run single up the middle.
- The Black and Gold cut into the deficit with a two-out rally in the top of the fourth. Ciliento walked with two outs, freshman Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) singled through the right side and Kelly roped an RBI single to left center to make it 5-2.
- Bryant made it a one-run game with two in the top of the sixth. Panno hit his fourth home run of the year to center field with one out and Ciliento followed with a single up the middle. Kelly would then score Ciliento with a two-out double to left center to make it 5-4.
- Maryland got both runs back in the bottom of the seventh. Ty Friedrich doubled to open the inning and pinch runner Richie Schiefkofer came home on consecutive wild pitches. Zach Jancarski then singled and came around to score as Biondic's ground ball hopped through the infield. Snyder ended any further damage with a 5-4-3 double play.
- The Terrapins put the game out of reach with four two-out runs in the seventh. Justin Morris singled on a 2-2 pitch with two outs and Jancarski walked to load the bases. Dunn followed with a double off the wall in left center to score all three. Dunn would score on a Bryant error to cap the scoring.
- Bryant got two runs back in the eighth with one swing of the bat. Ciliento and Wright opened the inning with singles but Wright was picked off. On the ensuing 2-1 pitch, Kelly hit a laser just to the left of the batters eye in center for his first-career home run.
- Maryland closed out its scoring with a two-out single from Morris in the bottom of the eighth.
- Bryant and Maryland each finished the game with 16 hits.
- Kelly finished 3-for-4 with a double, home run and a career-high four RBI.
- Ciliento went 3-for-3 with a walk, a stolen base and three runs scored.
- Wright finished 2-for-4 with a pair of singles.
- Gasper posted a 2-for-5 day.
- Ward went 2-for-5 with his second double of the season.
- Junior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) suffered the loss, allowing five runs on seven hits in three-plus innings. He walked one and struck out two.
- Classmate Craig Lacey (Westfield, Mass.) was the first out of the bullpen and tossed two scoreless innings. He allowed one hit and walked one.
- Tyler Blohm earned the win, allowing four runs on nine hits over six innings. Dunn led Maryland's offense with four hits and four RBI.
- Bryant is now 2-9 all-time against Maryland. The Bulldogs have never won a series against the Terps.
- The Bulldogs' 16 hits were a season high.
- Bryant lost for just the eighth time (50-8) when hitting two or more home runs in a game under coach Owens.
- Ciliento posted his fifth multi-hit game of the year and the 13th of his career. He now has back-to-back three-hit games and is 6-for-8 with five runs scored in the first two games of the series.
- Gasper posted his fourth multi-hit game of the season and the 32nd of his career.
- Kelly posted his second-straight multi-hit game and his third of the season. He also drove in a run for the fourth-straight game, finishing with a career-high four. He is 5-for-7 with five RBI and two walks in the series.
- Panno's home run was his fourth of the season. He now has five in his career and has a team-leading eight extra-base hits this season.
- Wright posted multiple hits for the second-straight game and the third time this season. He has 16 multi-hit games in his career.
- Lacey recorded his first scoreless outing of the season and the 12th of his career.
Bryant and Maryland play the rubber match of the series on Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m.