NEWARK, Del. – University of Delaware righty Kyle Hinton struck out 10 over six innings as the Blue Hens defeated the Bryant University baseball team, 7-3, in game one of Saturday's doubleheader at Bob Hannah Stadium.
A day after collecting a season-high 21 hits, the Black and Gold were limited to just six in game one on Saturday. The six hits came from six different players in the lineup.
Bryant 3, Delaware 7
Records: Bryant (4-10), Delaware (10-6)
Location: Bob Hannah Stadium (Newark, Del.)
W|L|S: Kyle Hinton (2-1) | Steve Theetge (0-5) | -
- With two outs and a runner on second in the fifth, Nick Patten and Calvin Scott hit back-to-back RBI doubles to push the Delaware lead to 4-1.
How it happened
- Bryant opened the scoring in game one, plating a run in the second. Junior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) hit a high fly ball off the left field wall for a one-out triple and scored on a sac fly from classmate Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.).
- Delaware answered with single runs in the third and fourth and two runs in the fifth to take a 4-1 lead. In the third, Kevin Mohollen tied the game with a double to left field. Tyler Callender's first home run of the year made it 2-1 in the fourth and Nick Patten and Calvin Scott hit back-to-back RBI doubles with two outs in the fifth. Patten's double dropped between three fielders in shallow right field.
- The Bulldogs got two runs back thanks to a two-out error in the top of the sixth. With runners on first and second, Mohollen dropped a fly ball in left center and both runners came around to score to make it 4-3.
- The Blue Hens pushed their lead to 5-3 with a run in the bottom of the sixth. With runners on first and second, Mohollen hit a ground ball up the middle that snuck through the Bryant defense for an RBI single. Senior Logan Lessard (Cromwell, Conn.) was summoned and struck out back-to-back batters to limit the damage.
- Delaware added two insurance runs in the bottom of the seventh. Zach Miller doubled home a run and then scored on a throwing error to make it 7-3.
- Delaware out-hit Bryant, 13-6.
- The Blue Hens went 5-for-16 with runners in scoring position, while Bryant was 0-for-7.
- Junior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) allowed four runs on eight hits, walked two and struck out four over five innings. He threw 92 pitches.
- Lessard worked 1 2/3 innings of relief and allowed two runs (one earned) on three hits. He struck out three.
- Redshirt sophomore Jack Owens (Scituate, R.I.) pitched a scoreless ninth.
- Senior Mickey Gasper (Merrimack, N.H.) went 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- Freshman Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) also had a hit and a run scored.
- Panno tripled and scored in the game.
- Delaware's Kyle Hinton held the Bryant offense in check over six innings. He allowed three runs (one earned) on four hits, walked one and struck out 10. Three Blue Hens finished with multiple hits, led by three hits and two RBI from Mohollen.
- Bryant is now 5-2 all-time against Delaware.
- Redshirt freshman Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) extended his on-base streak to a career-high 10 games with a walk.
- Sophomore James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) extended his hitting streak to eight games with a single in the seventh.
- Classmate Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) extended his hitting streak to five games and his on-base streak to nine games with a single in the ninth.
- Kelly extended his hitting streak to seven games.
- Panno's triple was the ninth of his career. He hit a program-record eight in 2017.
- Jack Owens registered the eighth scoreless outing of his career.
Bryant and Delaware will meet in game two of the doubleheader on Saturday.