WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – The Bryant University baseball team raced out to a 5-0 lead but had to hold off a late rally from the University of Hartford to pick up an 8-6 victory on Tuesday afternoon at Fiondella Field.
Freshman Matthew Stansky (Douglas, Mass.) pitched three scoreless innings in his first-career start and junior Nathan Wrighter (Windsor, N.Y.) recorded the final six outs as the Bulldogs snapped a three-game losing streak to the Hawks.
Bryant 8, Hartford 6
Records: Bryant (7-10), Hartford (2-14)
Location: Fiondella Field (West Hartford, Conn.)
W|L|S: Matthew Stansky (2-0) | Jarod Norcross Plourde (0-2) | Wrighter (2)
Coach Owens' Comments
"It was good to get to play a midweek game. We tried to get into somewhat of a regular routine. We came out and scored runs early in the game but didn't pitch as effectively or play good enough defense in the middle as I would have liked. Ryan Ward had a really good day offensive, Nick Angelini had three RBI and Nate Wrighter was really good at the end. We are looking forward to the start of Northeast Conference play."
- Trailing 8-5 in the eighth, the Hawks loaded the bases with no outs. Wrighter was summoned and got a line out, a sac fly and a fly out to right to limit Hartford to just one run.
How it happened
- Ward laced the first pitch of the game into the left field corner for a double to ignite a three-run first for the Black and Gold. A hit batter and a walk loaded the bases before junior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) beat out an infield single to make it 1-0. Freshman Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) and Angelini added sac flies to make it 3-0.
- The Bulldogs extended the lead to 5-0 with two more runs in the third. With runners on second and third and two outs, Angelini delivered a two-run single to left.
- Hartford cut into the Bryant lead with three unearned runs in the fourth. With two outs and a man on third, a ground ball was misplayed to allow a run to score. After an errant pickoff throw, Nick Campana doubled to left center to score a run. A third run came home on a throwing error from Ward.
- With two outs and no one on in the sixth, Bryant put together a two-out rally to plate a pair of runs. Sophomore Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) walked, freshman Sam Owens (Scituate, R.I.) was hit by pitch and Ward roped a 2-1 offering from reliever Jack Rose to right field for a two-run triple.
- The Hawks picked up two more unearned runs in the bottom of the inning to make it a two-run game again. With two outs, Ashton Bardzell laced a two-run home run to left field.
- Bryant added a crucial insurance runs in the top of the eighth thanks to a passed ball. Owens reached on a fielder's choice, went to third on a Ward single and scored on a passed ball to make it 8-5.
- Three-straight walks then loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the eighth. Wrighter then came on to face the middle of the Hartford lineup and got a lineout for the first out. Bardzell drove in a run with a sac fly to right but Wrighter got pinch-hitter TJ Ward to fly out to right to end the inning.
- Hartford out-hit the Bulldogs, 10-8.
- Bryant committed four errors in the game.
- The Black and Gold scored their final five runs with two outs.
- Stansky tossed three scoreless innings in his first-career start. He allowed four hits and walked two.
- Redshirt junior Justin Snyder (Georgetown, Mass.) allowed three unearned runs on four hits over two innings. He struck out two.
- Sophomore Jack Ipsen (Eatontown, Mass.) allowed two unearned runs on two hits in two innings.
- Wrighter walked one and struck out one over two scoreless innings.
- Ward went 3-for-5 with a double, triple, two RBI and a run scored.
- Gasper walked twice and scored twice.
- Kelly went 1-for-3 with an RBI, a run scored and an outfield assist.
- Angelini finished 1-for-2 with three RBI.
- Owens scored two runs.
- Jarod Norcross Plourde allowed three runs on two hits and recorded just one out in the start. Four Hartford hitters finished with two hits, while Bardzell drove in three.
- Bryant is now 6-3 against Hartford at the DI level. It is the Bulldogs' first win over Hartford since Mar. 29, 2015.
- The Bulldogs' four errors were a season high.
- Stansky's outing was his longest of the season.
- Wrighter and Ipsen also registered their longest outings of the season with each throwing two.
- Wrighter has now recorded five-straight scoreless outings, spanning 6 1/3 innings.
- Ward posted his third three-hit game of the season and of his career. He has eight multi-hit games this season.
- Ward has now tripled in back-to-back games after going 25 career games without one. He also extended his on-base streak to a team-high 13 games.
- Sophomore James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a single.
- Gasper extended his on-base streak to 11 games with a pair of walks.
- Kelly extended his on-base streak to 10 games.
- Angelini's three RBI were a season high.
Bryant opens Northeast Conference play this weekend with a three-game series at Wagner. Game one of the series is scheduled to be played Friday at 3:00 p.m.