BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Sophomore Vito Morgese (Warwick, N.Y.) tossed seven innings of one-run ball to lead the Bryant University baseball team to a 3-1 win over Wagner College in the second game of Sunday's Northeast Conference doubleheader at MCU Park.
Morgese allowed just four hits, walked two and struck out six to earn his second win of the season. Juniors Craig Lacey (Westfield, Mass.) and Nathan Wrighter (Windsor, N.Y.) combined to retire the final six batters in a row to end the game and Wagner's nine-game winning streak.
Redshirt freshman Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) provided most of the offense as he led off the game with a home run and finished with two RBI.
Bryant 3, Wagner 1
Records: Bryant (8-12, 1-2 NEC), Wagner (12-9, 2-1 NEC)
Location: MCU Park (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Coach Owens' Comments
"We got two quality starts today and had scoreless relief in both games. We gave up 10 hits in 18 innings. We did a good job of minimizing free passes today. It was a very tough day to score runs but I am very pleased with how our starters and bullpen pitched today. Our defense was much-improved today. Offensively, with the exception of Ryan Ward who was locked in all weekend, we need to get back to our approach and find a way to get back to scoring more runs. Gaby Cruz did a great job behind the plate all day today when we needed him."
- Ward set the tone for game two as he laced a 2-0 pitch over the right center wall for his first-career leadoff home run.
How it happened
- Bryant grabbed the lead three pitches into the game as Ward lined a 2-0 pitch over the wall in right center.
- The Bulldogs then manufactured a run in the second to make it 2-0. Sophomore Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) singled to deep short, took second on a wild pitch and went to third on a sac bunt. Junior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) then drove him in with a ground ball to second.
- Wagner cut the deficit in half with a run in the third. Nick Mascelli doubled down the right field line and came around to score on a two-out bloop single from Phil Capra.
- Bryant got the run back in the top of the fifth. Freshman Sam Owens (Scituate, R.I.) led with a triple to right center and scored on a ground ball to first from Ward.
- The trio of Morgese, Lacey and Wrighter did the rest as they combined to retire 13 of the final 14 batters.
- Bryant finished the game with just three hits.
- Morgese allowed one run on four hits over seven innings. He walked two and struck out six.
- Lacey struck out one in a perfect eighth.
- Wrighter struck out two in a perfect ninth.
- Ward homered and drove in two runs.
- Cruz went 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- Owens tripled and scored.
- Junior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) had just one official at-bat as he walked and had two sac bunts. He also stole a base.
- Freshman Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) picked up a stolen base.
- Bishop allowed three runs on three hits over five innings. Capra had two hits and drove in a run.
- With the win, the Bulldogs avoided a series sweep. Bryant has never been swept in an NEC series.
- Bryant's finished the doubleheader with just five total hits.
- Morgese finished an out shy of his career high in innings pitched with seven. It is his second quality start of the year.
- Ward extended his on-base streak to a team-high 16 games. He's hit safely in each of his last six, setting a new career high.
- Ward's leadoff home run was the first by a Bulldog since Cole Fabio on Apr. 1, 2016 against LIU Brooklyn.
- Ciliento extended his on-base streak to 14 games with a walk.
- Wrighter has now recorded six-straight scoreless outings. He has
- Lacey registered his third-straight scoreless outing.
Bryant heads to Brown on Tuesday for a midweek contest against the Bears. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.