PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Mount St. Mary's left hander Trey McGough tossed a complete-game to lead the Mountaineers to a 6-1 victory over the Bryant University baseball team on Friday afternoon at Brown's Murray Stadium.
The victory for Mount St. Mary's snaps Bryant's 30-game winning streak in the series. McGough, who allowed his only run with two outs in the ninth, walked three and struck out eight. He threw 125 pitches in the complete game.
Bryant 1, Mount St. Mary's 6
Records: Bryant (9-13, 1-3 NEC), Mount St. Mary's (6-12, 2-1 NEC)
Location: Murray Stadium (Providence, R.I.)
W|L|S: Trey McGough (2-2) | Jack Patterson (2-2) | -
- Mount was leading 2-0 in the sixth when Thomas Savastio gave the Mountaineers some breathing room with a three-run home run to left center.
How it happened
- Mount St. Mary's plated two runs in the third to take the lead. Myles Nicholson and Alex Kriss opened the inning with singles and Vaughn Parker scored the first run with a one-out single to center. Savastio then grounded out to short to bring home a second run.
- The Mountaineers extended their lead with one swing of the bat in the sixth. Back-to-back singles opened the inning and Savastio followed with a three-run home run to left center to make it 5-0.
- Mount St. Mary's made it 6-0 with an unearned run in the seventh. An infield error with one out put runners on first and second, a wild pitch moved the runners into scoring position and Parker singled through the left side to plate a run.
- Bryant plated its only run in the ninth. Junior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) reached on a fielder's choice, took second on a ground out and scored on a pinch-hit single from sophomore Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.).
- Bryant was held to just five hits in the game.
- Senior Jack Patterson (Suffield, Conn.) allowed five runs on nine hits over six innings. He walked two and struck out a career-high nine batters.
- Freshman Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) pitched the final three innings and allowed an unearned run on two hits. He walked one and struck out four.
- Freshmen Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.), Nick Viscariello (Plymouth, Mass.) and Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) collected Bryant's other four hits.
- Kelly finished 2-for-3 with a double and a walk.
- Cruz delivered a pinch-hit single and drove in a run.
- McGough allowed five hits, walked three and struck out eight in his second complete game of the year. Savastio drove in four runs and Parker finished 4-for-4 with two RBI.
- The Bulldogs are now 30-3 all-time against Mount St. Mary's. Friday snapped a 30-game winning streak against the Mount. The Mountaineers had not beaten Bryant since 2010.
- Ward extended his hitting streak to eight games and his on-base streak to 18 games. Both are the longest of his career.
- Sophomore James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) saw his 15-game on-base streak come to an end.
- Kelly posted his fifth multi-hit game of the year and clubbed his fourth double.
- Viscariello's single was the first hit of his career.
- Cruz has now reached safely in nine-straight games, a season-high.
- Patterson struck out a career-high nine batters. His previous career high was eight and came last year against Fairleigh Dickinson.
- Mattison's four strikeouts in relief were a season high.
Bryant and Mount St. Mary's will wrap up their series on Saturday with a doubleheader beginning at 12:00 p.m. The two games will represent the first two true home games for the Bulldogs at Conaty Park.