TEANECK, N.J. – All nine starters collected a hit as the Bryant University baseball team completed a doubleheader sweep of Fairleigh Dickinson with an 11-7 victory.
The Bulldogs racked up double-digit runs and double-digit hits for the third-straight game against the Knights. Redshirt freshman Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.), sophomore James CIliento (Mahwah, N.J.) and senior Mickey Gasper (Merrimack, N.H.) combined for eight hits, six doubles and four runs scored to pace the offense.
Bryant 11, Fairleigh Dickinson 7
Records: Bryant (17-14-1, 9-4 NEC), Fairleigh Dickinson (8-19, 0-9 NEC)
Location: Naimoli Family Baseball Complex (Teaneck, N.J.)
Coach Owens' Comments
"I thought Vito was pretty good for four. We need him to go longer than that. We got a hit from every single guy in our lineup. We came out ready to play right away. Sam Owens did a great job getting two consecutive 2-out RBI singles to put us up 2-0. We had an inning on the mound that was disappointing but Nate came in and shut it down. And we scored in the seventh which is what you're suppose to do."
- Leading 6-2 in the sixth, junior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) delivered a huge two-out, bases-clearing double to push Bryant's lead to seven. It proved vital as FDU scored five times in the bottom of the inning.
How it happened
- Game two started in a strange fashion as the Bulldogs hit three doubles but did not score a run in the top of the first.
- Bryant did get on the board in the top of the second though as Owens delivered the first of two two-strike, two-out RBI singles.
- The game remained 1-0 until Owens came through again in the fourth. Panno walked with two outs, Cruz followed with a single and Owens shot an 0-2 pitch through the right side to score Panno.
- Bryant ballooned the lead to six with a four-run fifth inning. Gasper doubled, freshman Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) singled and sophomore Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) scored both with a double to left center. Two batters later, Cruz's fly ball to right fell in for a double, allowing Wright to score. Angelini also scored on the play thanks to an error on the relay.
- FDU got on the board in the bottom of the inning. Jason Fatzinger collected a two-out, two-run single to left field.
- In the sixth, the Bulldogs loaded the bases with no outs but a fly out from Wright turned into a double play as Ciliento was thrown out at home. Angelini was then hit by a pitch to reload the bases and Panno went the other way, doubling into the left field corner to clear the bases.
- The Knights made things interesting in the bottom of the inning as they scored five runs on just one hit. Four walks and a hit batter brought in two runs, James Donlon doubled home two more and Oliver Tavares scored a run with an RBI ground out to round out the scoring.
- Bryant added two insurance runs in the top of the seventh to cap the scoring. Ward hit his second double of the game and came around on a Gasper single. Kelly scored the final run with a sac fly.
- Bryant out-hit FDU, 17-8
- The Bulldogs did not commit an error.
- Bryant posted nine doubles in the contest.
- Sophomore Vito Morgese (Warwick, N.Y.) earned his third win of the year with 4 2/3 innings of two-run ball. He walked one, struck out three and allowed seven hits.
- Junior Nathan Wrighter (Windsor, N.Y.) recorded the final five outs to pick up his fifth save of the year.
- Ward finished 3-for-5 with two doubles and a run scored.
- Ciliento posted two doubles and a run scored.
- Gasper had three hits, including two doubles, and two runs scored.
- Wright doubled and drove in two runs.
- Angelini went 2-for-3 with three runs scored and a stolen base.
- Panno doubled and drove in three.
- Cruz had two hits, including a double.
- Owens had two hits and two RBI.
- Fatzinger and Donlon both drove in a pair of runs for FDU.
- The Bulldogs are now 34-4 all-time against FDU.
- With the victory, Bryant clinched the series win over FDU. The Bulldogs have now won or tied 59 of their 63 NEC series.
- Bryant posted double-digit runs for the third-straight game and double-digit hits for the fifth-straight game.
- The Bulldogs have scored 75 runs in their last five games (15 per game).
- Wrighter's five saves are a career high and are the most in the NEC this year.
- Ward extended his hitting streak to 18 games and his on-base streak to 28 games. Both are the longest of his career. He has reached safely in all but one game this season.
- Ward posted his seventh-straight multi-hit game. He now has 18 multi-hit games this year.
- Ward now leads the team with 15 doubles on the year.
- Ciliento doubled twice in the game and now has seven in his last eight games.
- Gasper posted his 41st career multi-hit game.
- Gasper notched his second multi-double game of the season.
- Wright has now doubled in each of his last five games.
- Wright has multiple RBIs in six of his last seven games. He has driven in 14 runs in his last seven.
- Wright has hit safely in 10 straight (career high) and reached safely in 12 straight.
- Angelini has now reached safely in 18-straight games.
- Angelini posted his 47th career multi-hit game.
- Cruz posted his ninth multi-hit game of the year.
- Owens posted his eighth multi-hit game of the year and the third multi-RBI game of his career.
Bryant and Fairleigh Dickinson wrap up their series on Sunday at noon.