SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team returns home for the first time in nearly three weeks when it welcomes Quinnipiac to Conaty Park on Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
Time: 3 p.m.
Live Stats: BryantBulldogs.com
Game Notes: Bryant | Quinnipiac
Matthew Stansky (2-0, 4.72) vs. Chris Enns (0-3, 7.24)
Freshman Matthew Stansky (Douglas, Mass.) will get the ball for his fourth midweek start of the year. Stansky has gone no more than three innings in any of his three previous starts. He allowed two runs on four hits in two-plus innings last week against UConn.
Veteran lefty Chris Enns will get the ball for Quinnipiac. Enns has walked 23 and struck out just 14 but he posted a strong outing against Boston College in his most recent outing. He allowed three runs on four hits and struck out two over six innings.
- Bryant holds a 16-1 lead in the all-time series with Quinnipiac.
- The Bulldogs and Bobcats met 16 times between 2010 and 2013 when they were both members of the Northeast Conference.
- Bryant won last year's meeting, 7-6, thanks to a four-run eighth inning. Then-junior Mickey Gasper (Merrimack, N.H.) gave Bryant the lead with a three-run home run.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- The Bulldogs enter Wednesday's game with an 18-14-1 overall record and a 9-1-1 mark in their last 11.
- Bryant is averaging 10.9 runs per game over its last 11 contests. The Bulldogs have scored in double-figures in five of those 11 games.
- The Black and Gold now rank sixth nationally in batting average (.314), 15th in slugging percentage (.467) and 20th in doubles per game (2.21).
- Redshirt freshman Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) will bring a 19-game hitting streak and a 29-game on-base streak into Wednesday's game. He has reached safely in 32-of-33 games this year.
- Ward was named the NEC Player/Rookie of the Week and a Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week on Monday. He has posted eight-straight multi-hit games entering Wednesday.
- Ward ranks first nationally in hits/game (1.94), second in hits (64), third in total bases (110), fifth in average (.435), fifth in doubles (17) and is the ninth toughest hitter to strike out (18.4).
- Sophomore Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) also brings a lengthy hitting streak into Wednesday's game. He has hit safely in a career-high 11-straight games, doubled in six straight and has collected an RBI in each of his last eight games.
- Classmate Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) has also been an RBI machine, posting an RBI in 10 of his last 11 games. Cruz is now hitting .392 with 20 RBI and a 452 OBP.
- Junior Nathan Wrighter (Windsor, N.Y.) was busy last week, recording five scoreless innings over three appearances on his way to NEC Pitcher of the Week honors. He leads the NEC with six saves.
- Classmate Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) became just the fifth player in DI program history to steal 40+ bases last weekend. He leads the team with 12 this year.
Scouting the Bobcats
- Quinnipiac enters Wednesday's game with a 16-18 overall record. The Bobcats have notable wins over William & Mary, Old Dominion and College of Charleston.
- Quinnipiac is hitting .270 with 29 home runs and has posted a 4.83 team ERA.
- Brian Moskey leads the team with a .344 average, while Ben Gibson has hit eight home runs and driven in 28 runs.
- Liam Scafariello has six home runs and a team-leading 31 RBI.