SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Junior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) collected two hits but the Bryant University baseball team was defeated, 9-1, by Stony Brook on Friday afternoon at Joe Nathan Field.
Panno had two of Bryant's six hits in the game, including his 11th double of the year. Senior Mickey Gasper (Merrimack, N.H.) drove in Bryant's only run with a sac fly in the eighth.
Redshirt freshman Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) saw his 30-game hitting streak come to a close on Friday. In his fourth and final at-bat, Ward lined one off the glove of the pitcher and the ball deflected out to the second baseman who made a diving catch. It is the first time since March 17 at Delaware that Ward had not collected a hit.
Bryant 1, Stony Brook 9
Records: Bryant (26-18-1), Stony Brook (25-19)
Location: Joe Nathan Field (Stony Brook, N.Y.)
W|L|S: Greg Marino (4-1) | Steve Theetge (4-7)
Coach Owens' Comments
"We got a great start from Steve Theetge. He pitched into the seventh inning and gave us a chance to win. His pitch count was really low and he was very efficient. Offensively, we stranded eight runners. We got things going early but were unable to get a hit when we needed it. Stony Brook played better defense and their starter was very good."
- After being held to just two hits over the first four innings, Chris Hamilton ignited Stony Brook's offense with a leadoff home run in the fifth.
How it happened
- Friday's game was scoreless until Stony Brook scored twice in the bottom of the fifth. Hamilton led off the inning with his fifth home run of the year to make it 1-0. The Seawolves then loaded the bases and Janofsky singled through the left side to score a second run. Sophomore Bryan Hart (Franklin, Mass.) threw out a second runner at the plate.
- The Seawolves put the game away with four runs in the seventh. A single and a hit batter put two on and Dylan Resk scored one with a double down the third base line. A sac fly to left made it 4-0. Andruw Gazzola capped the scoring with a two-out, two-run single up the middle.
- Redshirt junior Nolan Hayward (Glendale, R.I.) singled to open the inning, Panno moved him to third with a double and Gasper scored him with a sac fly to center.
- Stony Brook capped the scoring with three runs in the bottom of the eighth. A double scored the first and Resk made it 9-1 with a two-run single to center.
- Bryant was held to just six hits in the contest.
- Junior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) suffered a tough-luck loss, tossing 6 1/3 innings. He allowed five runs on eight hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out four. Theetge threw just 77 pitches.
- Panno finished 2-for-4 with a double.
- Gasper singled and drove in a run.
- Sophomore Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) had a single and two walks.
- Hayward singled and scored.
- Hamilton, Wilson and Resk all had three hits for Stony Brook.
- Bryant is now 5-2 all-time against Stony Brook.
- Ward saw his hitting streak come to a close at 30 games and his on-base streak end at 40 games.
- Panno posted multiple hits for the 14th time this year. He has multiple hits in three of his last four games.
- Gasper has now reached safely in a career-high 23-straight games.
Bryant will face UMass on Saturday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. It will be the first meeting in program history between the two teams.