EMMITSBURG, Md. – Mount St. Mary's scored five times over the final three innings to earn a 5-3 victory over the Bryant University baseball team in game two of Thursday's Northeast Conference doubleheader.
With the loss, the Bulldogs are now tied in the loss column with Wagner. The Seahawks defeated Sacred Heart, 4-1, on Thursday afternoon.
Bryant led 1-0 after five innings but the Mountaineers scored twice in the sixth, twice in the seventh and once in the eighth to earn their second win over the Bulldogs this season.
Sophomore Bryan Hart (Franklin, Mass.) provided most of Bryant's offense, going 2-for-4 with a home run and two RBI.
Bryant 3, Mount St. Mary's 5
Records: Bryant (30-21-1, 20-7), Mount St. Mary's (21-30, 15-12)
Location: E.T. Straw Family Stadium (Emmitsburg, Md.)
W|L|S: Michael Kuypers (4-1) | Nathan Wrighter (1-4)
- Moments after Bryant tied the game in the seventh, the Mount answered with two runs in the bottom of the seventh to retake the lead.
How it happened
- Scoreless through four innings, Hart gave Bryant the lead with a two-out home run to right center.
- Mount was able to take the lead with two runs in the bottom of the sixth. A walk and a single put the first two on and a sac bunt advanced both into scoring position. A wild pitch then scored the tying run and a safety squeeze made it 2-1 Mount.
- Bryant quickly tied it with a run in the top of the seventh. Senior Malik Daley (Northborough, Mass.) single down the left field line, took second on an errant pickoff throw and scored on a two-out single from Hart.
- Mount answered in the bottom of the seventh. A.J. Narcise walked to start the inning, went to second on a sac bunt and scored on a two-out single to left from Patrick Causa. A walk and a single then loaded the bases and a line drive to second fell for an infield RBI single.
- Bryant made it a 4-3 game with a run in the top of the eighth. Back-to-back singles opened the inning and redshirt freshman Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) drove in a run with a sac fly.
- Freshman Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) started and pitched five scoreless innings for the Bulldogs. He allowed four hits, walked two and struck out six.
- Junior Nathan Wrighter (Windsor, N.Y.) suffered the loss, allowing four runs on three hits over 1 2/3 innings of relief.
- Sophomore Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) went 2-for-4 with his 10th double of the year.
- Senior Mickey Gasper (Merrimack, N.H.) collected two hits.
- Hart homered and drove in two.
- Bryant is now 33-4 all-time against Mount St. Mary's.
- Bryant leads the season series, 3-2.
- Wright posted his 14th multi-hit game of the year. He went 4-for-7 in the doubleheader.
- Wright has now hit safely in 11-straight games.
- Hart hit his first home run since Apr. 24 at URI. He went 3-for-8 with three runs scored in the doubleheader.
Bryant and Mount St. Mary's will wrap up their series on Friday with a single nine-inning game set for 1:00 p.m. Stay tuned to the Bryant Baseball twitter for updates on changes due to weather.