BATON ROUGE, La. – Redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) had three hits and three RBI, while junior Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) collected two hits and two RBI but the Bryant University baseball team fell to No. 1 LSU, 17-8, Saturday night.
The Bulldogs finished with four extra-base hits but committed five errors and surrendered 10 walks in the game.
Ward went 3-for-5 with a double and three RBI, Cruz drove in two and reached three times and redshirt sophomore Jimmy Titus (Stafford, Conn.) hit his first home run of the year.
No. 1 LSU 17, Bryant 8
Records: Bryant (2-3), LSU (6-0)
Location: Alex Box Stadium (Baton Rouge, La.)
W|L|S: Landon Marceaux (1-0) | Vito Morgese (0-1)
- After Bryant made it a 3-1 game in the second, LSU answered with four runs in the second and four more in the third to open up an 11-1 lead.
How it Happened
- LSU opened the game with three-straight singles to take a 2-0 lead. A sac fly made it 3-0.
- Titus brought the Bulldogs within two as he led off the second with a solo home run to right center.
- The Tigers then scored four times in the second and four more in the third. Mathis led off the second with a home run, a second run scored on a dropped fly ball and a sac fly and a single capped the inning.
- In the third, Duplantis hit a three-run home run to make it 11-1.
- Bryant responded with a four-run inning of its own in the top of the fourth. Junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) doubled home a run and a wild pitch with the bases loaded brought in a second. Cruz then singled through the left side to score two more.
- LSU would score the next five runs to make it a 16-5 game after six. Duplantis delivered a two-run single as part of LSU's three-run sixth.
- Ward then drove in the final three Bryant runs of the night. In the seventh, he ripped a 2-0 pitch to right center for a two-run double. In the ninth, Ward singled to right to bring home the final Bryant run.
- LSU outhit Bryant, 14-9.
- The Bulldogs finished with five errors and have made nine in two games this series.
- Junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) didn't record a hit but reached twice and scored two runs.
- Freshman Vincenzo Castronovo (Utica, N.Y.) singled in two plate appearances.
- Ward finished 3-for-5 with three RBI and a double.
- Titus went 1-for-4 with a home run.
- Wright delivered an RBI double and a run scored.
- Freshman Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.) collected his second double of the series.
- Cruz had two hits, two RBI and a walk.
- Junior Vito Morgese (Warwick, N.Y.) allowed six runs (three earned) on four hits in 1 1/3 innings.
- Redshirt senior Justin Snyder (Georgetown, Mass.) recorded two outs in the seventh, while redshirt junior Jack Owens (Scituate, R.I.) struck out two in a scoreless eighth.
Notes and Notables
- Ciliento extended his on-base streak to 12 games dating back to last year.
- Ward recorded the 13th three-hit game of his career and the fourth three-RBI game of his career.
- Titus homered for the first time since May 18, 2017.
- Owens has now tossed scoreless innings in each of his two appearances. His two strikeouts are a career high.
Bryant and No. 1 LSU wrap up their series on Sunday at Alex Box Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.