ELON, N.C. – Senior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) struck out a career-high 11 batters but the Bryant University baseball team lost game one of Sunday's doubleheader, 1-0, to Elon.
Theetge and Elon preseason All-American righty Georgy Kirby were both locked in on Sunday as they combined to strike out 22 and allow just six hits. Theetge allowed an unearned run on five hits, walked three and struck out 11 in the seventh complete game of his career.
Kirby allowed his only hit in the third inning and proceeded to retire the next 21 of the final 22 he faced. He didn't walk a batter and struck out 11.
Elon 1, Bryant 0
Records: Bryant (5-6), Elon (9-5)
Location: Latham Park (Elon, N.C.)
W|L|S: George Kirby (3-0) | Steve Theetge (1-1)
- The Phoenix was able to manufacture the lone run in the third and Kirby went on to retire the next 12 to keep Elon ahead.
How it Happened
- Elon plated the only run of the game in the third inning. Tyler Cranston led off with a single, advanced to second on a bunt, took third on a passed ball and scored on a sac fly.
- Elon outhit Bryant, 5-1.
- Theetge allowed one unearned run on five hits, walked three and struck out 11 over eight innings.
- Junior Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) registered Bryant's only hit of the game.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant is now 1-1 against Elon.
- Each of Bryant's last six games has been decided by two runs or less.
- It was the first time Bryant has been one-hit since Mar. 1, 2015 at Liberty.
- Theetge set career highs in both innings and strikeouts. He had thrown seven innings 13 different times in his career before today.
- His 11 strikeouts broke his previous career high of nine set last year at LIU Brooklyn.
- Theetge has now allowed three runs or less in all four starts this year and each of his last seven dating back to last year.
- The complete game is the seventh of his career.
- It is the first time a Bryant pitcher as struck out 10 more in a game since Jack Patterson on May 25, 2018.
- The 11 strikeouts are tied for the most by a left-handed pitcher in DI program history.
- Theetge is now sixth all-time with 195 career strikeouts.
- The 195 strikeouts are the most by a lefty in DI program history.