ELON, N.C. – Freshman Brian Nicolas (Langhorne, Pa.) delivered the eventual game-winning single in the top of the 16th inning as the Bryant University baseball team earned a series victory over Elon with a 6-5 victory in game two of Sunday's doubleheader at Latham Park.
Nicolas, who picked up his first-career hit earlier in the game, knocked a single through the right side that sent sophomore Sam Owens (Scituate, R.I.) racing home from second with the lead run. Classmate Will Treuel (Wolfeboro, N.H.) then struck out two in the bottom of the 16th to earn his first career save.
Sunday's series finale came after the Bulldogs dropped a 1-0 decision to the Phoenix in game one of the day. The final game of the series took five hours and the Black and Gold used eight pitchers to earn their third series win in four weekends.
Coach Owens' Comments
"Game two was a great team effort after a really tough loss in game one. We got behind early but we rallied to get back in the game. We pitched outstanding for 16 innings until we did what we needed to do to win it. I am really proud of our team. We showed a lot of depth in our lineup and on the mound. We showed a lot of heart.
Winning our third series in four weekends on the road against very good teams with stud pitchers is a hard thing to do."
- Owens walked to open the 16th inning and then stole second to get into scoring position. Nicolas then hit a ground ball through the right side and Owens was able to slide in safely.
How it Happened
- Elon grabbed a 3-0 lead with a run in the second and two more in the third. Matt Oldham delivered a two-out RBI single in second, while Garrett Stonehouse and Cam Devanney had back-to-back RBI hits in the third.
- Bryant got a run back in the top of the fourth. Two walks and a single loaded the bases and a 4-6-3 double play brought in a run.
- The Bulldogs erased the deficit in the next inning with a three-run fifth. Junior Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) opened the inning with a single and then motored around from first as redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) clubbed a 1-2 pitch into the right-field corner for a triple.
- Junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) followed with a two-run home run over the wall in left-center to give the Bulldogs a 4-3 lead.
- The Bulldogs tacked on a run in the top of the eighth as Ciliento beat out an infield single, stole second and scored on a double to left center from redshirt sophomore Jimmy Titus (Stafford, Conn.).
- Elon was able to tie the game with a walk and three-straight singles in the bottom of the eighth. Devanney singled up the middle and Satterfield slapped a single through the left side to tie it.
- The game remained tied until the 16th. Owens opened with a walk and then stole second. Nicolas followed with a single through the right side and Owens was able to race home with the lead run.
- Treuel then struck out two, including the final batter of the game with two on, to close the door.
- Bryant outhit the Phoenix, 14-13.
- Junior Vito Morgese (Warwick, N.Y.) was saddled with no decision after tossing seven innings of three-run ball. He allowed seven hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out three.
- Morgese retired the final 11 batters he faced.
- Freshman John MacDonald (Stamford, Conn.) retired all five batters he faced. He got two ground outs to end the eighth and then struck out two in a perfect ninth.
- Junior Jack Ipsen (Eatontown, N.J.) pitched a scoreless 10th for the Bulldogs.
- Redshirt senior Justin Snyder (Georgetown, Mass.) retired two batters in the 11th, posting a strikeout.
- Senior Craig Lacey (Westfield, Mass.) struck out four and walked three over 1 2/3 innings of relief. He struck out a batter to end the 11th and then struck out the side in the 12th.
- Junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) earned the win with 2 2/3 scoreless innings of relief. He didn't allow a hit, walked two and struck out six.
- Treuel struck out two to earn his first save.
- Cruz finished 4-for-5 with four singles and a run scored.
- Ward went 3-for-8 with a triple, RBI and a run scored.
- Ciliento went 2-for-5 with a home run, two RBI, three runs scored and two walks.
- Titus went 3-for-6 with a double and an RBI.
- Nicolas finished 2-for-5 with the game-winning RBI.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant is now 2-1 against Elon.
- The Bulldogs have now won three of their first four weekend series.
- The last time Bryant won a game of this length was Feb. 20, 2016 when they beat Monmouth in 17 innings.
- Each of Bryant's last seven games has been decided by two runs or less.
- Morgese pitched seven innings or more for the fourth time in his career.
- Cruz's four hits are a career high. He had registered three hits on two occasions.
- Wright has now struck out 18 batters in 7 2/3 innings. He has struck out 18 of the 27 he's faced and is averaging 21.13 K/9.
- Wright picks up his first win since May 12, 2017 against Sacred Heart.
- MacDonald has now tossed three scoreless innings over his last two outings.
- Lacey has tossed 2 1/3 scoreless over his last two outings.
- Ipsen has recorded scoreless outings in each of his last two appearances.
- Ciliento's home run was the second of the season.
Bryant continues its spring break trip with midweek games against Winthrop and Wofford on Tuesday and Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. at Winthrop and 5:00 p.m. for Wofford.