SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team opens its home schedule and Northeast Conference play when it welcomes Central Connecticut to Conaty Park this weekend.
**Fridays game has been postponed due to weather. Bryant and CCSU will now play a single game Saturday at 2pm and a doubleheader on Sunday beginning at 11am. **
Opponent: Central Connecticut
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
Date and Time: Mar. 22 – 3:00 p.m. | Mar. 23 – 1:00 p.m. | Mar. 24 – 1:00 p.m.
Live Stats: Friday | Saturday | Sunday
Game Notes: Bryant
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | #TCD | #NECBASE
Friday – LHP Steve Theetge (2-1, 0.88) vs. RHP Tom Curtin (2-0, 1.89)
Saturday – RHP Tyler Mattison (2-1, 7.43) vs. RHP Brandon Fox (1-1, 2.86)
Sunday – LHP Vito Morgese (0-1, 5.00) vs. RHP Patrick Mitchell (2-1, 4.41)
Bryant will switch its weekend rotation as senior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) will start on Friday. The veteran lefty has struck out 21 batters in his last two starts and has 25 career victories. Theetge is 18-1 with a 2.18 ERA in 22 regular-season NEC appearances (21 starts). Sophomore Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) tossed a complete-game shutout last year against Central Connecticut.
- Bryant owns a 32-10 lead in the all-time series against Central Connecticut.
- Bryant swept all four games against the Blue Devils last season.
- This will be the first of two meetings between Bryant and CCSU this year.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant enters the weekend at 10-8 overall after a 23-3 victory over Hartford on Wednesday.
- The Bulldogs set a DI program record with its 23 runs scored on Wednesday, while their 24 hits are tied for the second-most.
- Bryant has gone 198-61 (.764) against NEC opponents since the start of 2010.
- Redshirt sophomore Jimmy Titus (Stafford, Conn.) put together the greatest single-game performance in program history when he went 5-for-5 with two home runs, seven RBI and five runs scored at Hartford. He tied single-game program records for hits, runs scored and RBI.
- Titus has driven in 13 runs over his last seven games.
- Classmate Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) has hit safely in each of his last seven games, going 15-for-33 (.455) with three doubles, a triple, two home runs, eight RBI and 11 runs scored.
- Junior Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) has two four-hit games in his last five starts and is batting a team-best .385 on the year.
Scouting the Blue Devils
- Central Connecticut has won each of its last four games entering the weekend.
- The Blue Devils are hitting .240 as a team and have a team ERA of 3.77.
- Dave Matthews has seven doubles and seven RBI, while Buddy Dewaine has eight RBI and a .474 OBP.
- Central's three projected starters have walked just 11 in 57 1/3 combined innings.
The Bulldogs will play a home-and-home with Brown on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. Both games are scheduled for 3:00 p.m. starts.