SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team dropped game one of Sunday's doubleheader, 6-5, against Central Connecticut at Conaty Park.
The Blue Devils broke a 5-5 tie in the top of the ninth to earn the victory.
Central Connecticut 6, Bryant 5
Records: Bryant (11-9, 1-1 NEC), Central Connecticut (8-6, 1-1 NEC)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Mike Appel (2-0) | Chris Wright (1-1)
- With the game tied in the ninth, Buddy Dewaine hit a soft ground ball to the right side that was stopped by a diving Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.). Dewaine beat the throw to first and the runner on second never stopped, scoring the go-ahead run.
How it Happened
- Bryant grabbed the lead with two runs in the bottom of the second. Cruz drove in the first run of the game with a single through the left side and Angelini followed with an RBI single up the middle.
- CCSU answered with four runs in the top of the third. After a run scored on a wild pitch, Dewaine hit a line drive to center with the bases loaded that was misplayed. The misplay resulted in three runs and a 4-2 Blue Devil lead.
- Bryant was able to tie the game in the fourth on back-to-back two-out hits from junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) and redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.).
- The Blue Devils regained the lead in the seventh as Christian Layne scored from second as a potential inning-ending double play went awry at first.
- In the eighth, Cruz doubled, went to third on a Gustin ground out and scored the tying run on a single from Angelini.
- CCSU took the lead in the ninth as Dewaine's infield single allowed Chandler Debrosse to score.
- Bryant outhit CCSU, 8-7.
- Sophomore Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) allowed three runs (one earned) on two hits over 2 1/3 innings.
- Freshman John MacDonald (Stamford, Conn.) allowed one unearned run over two innings of hitless relief.
- Senior Nathan Wrighter (Windsor, N.Y.) allowed one unearned run over two innings of relief.
- Junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) allowed one run on four hits over 2 2/3 innings of relief.
- Ciliento doubled, drove in a run and scored a run.
- Cruz went 2-for-4 with a double, RBI and a run scored.
- Angelini went 3-for-3 with two RBI and a run scored.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant falls to 33-11 all-time against Central Connecticut.
- Ward has hit safely in nine-straight games and has 18 hits during the streak.
- Angelini has now had a hit and a run scored in each of Bryant's last six games.
- Cruz has six hits in nine at-bats this week.