SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Senior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) posted his fourth-straight three-hit game and homered for the third-straight game as the Bryant University baseball team completed a home-and-home sweep of Brown, 15-2, on Wednesday afternoon at Conaty Park.
Angelini was one of five Bulldogs to finish with multiple hits as he went 3-for-5 with three runs scored. Redshirt sophomore Jimmy Titus (Stafford, Conn.) went 4-for-4, while juniors James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) and Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) each had two hits and three RBI. Freshman Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.) had two hits, two RBI and two runs scored.
Senior Craig Lacey (Westfield, Mass.) struck out a season-high five batters over five scoreless innings to earn the win. He allowed four hits and walked two.
Bryant 15, Brown 2
Records: Bryant (14-9), Brown (4-15)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Craig Lacey (2-0) | Fisch (0-1)
Coach Owens' Comments
"We got a really good start from Craig which we challenged him to do. He needs to do that every week for us. We had really big offensive days from Jimmy, Gaby, Nick and Ryan. We have good hitters and a lot of different guys can do a lot of different things. It's a good lineup with some depth. What Nick's doing right now has been awesome. We are hoping we can keep scoring some runs as we continue to figure it out on the mound."
- Gustin made a diving catch with the bases loaded and two outs in the first to keep the Bears off the scoreboard.
- With five runs already across in the third, Cruz stepped to the plate and put an exclamation point on the inning with a three-run home run to left.
How it Happened
- Bryant broke a scoreless tie with eight runs in the third. The first eight batters all reached and scored in the inning. Ciliento, Titus and Ward all recorded RBI singles before junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) drove in two with a single to right. Cruz followed with a line drive over the left field wall for his first home run of the year.
- The Bulldogs then plated five more runs in the fifth. Cruz singled and Angelini doubled to set up a two-run single from Ciliento. Gustin then added a two-run single of his own two batters later and Titus capped the barrage with an RBI single to left.
- Angelini would single and score in the following inning to make it 14-0. Freshman Vincenzo Castronovo (Utica, N.Y.) scored him with an RBI ground out.
- Angelini then capped the scoring with a leadoff home run to left center in the eighth.
- Bryant outhit Brown, 19-9.
- Ciliento finished 2-for-4 with three RBI and two runs scored.
- Gustin went 2-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Titus was a perfect 4-for-4 with two RBI and a run.
- Ward went 1-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Wright drove in two runs.
- Cruz finished 2-for-3 with a home run, three RBI and two runs scored.
- Angelini was 3-for-5 with an RBI and three runs.
- Junior Bryan Hart (Franklin, Mass.) was 1-for-2 with two runs scored and three walks.
- Lacey earned the win with five scoreless innings. He allowed four hits, walked two and struck out five.
- Sophomore Will Treuel (Wolfeboro, N.H.) tossed a scoreless sixth.
- Freshman Mike Randazzo (Fairfield, Conn.) struck out four and allowed two unearned runs over two innings.
- Redshirt senior Justin Snyder (Georgetown, Mass.) tossed a scoreless ninth.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant improves to 11-6 in the Division I history between the programs.
- The Bulldogs have now scored 10+ runs in five of their last six games and seven times this year.
- Bryant is averaging 13.8 runs per game in the last six.
- Bryant has hit 30 home runs in the first 23 games.
- Ward has hit safely in 12-straight games and has 23 hits during the streak.
- Angelini has now had a hit and a run scored in each of Bryant's last nine games.
- Angelini's home run was his 17th career home run. He's now tied for fourth in DI program history.
- Angelini now has 193 career hits, sixth-most in DI program history. He's also fourth in runs scored (153) and ninth in RBI (110).
- Angelini now has four-straight three-hit games, six-straight multi-hit games and has hit safely in each of his last nine. He's hitting .513 (20-39) with four doubles, a triple, four home runs, 14 RBI and 15 runs scored in that stretch.
- Angelini has also homered in three-straight games, becoming the first Bulldog to do so since Bryan Hart at the end of last year.
- Titus posted four hits for the second time in three games and drove in multiple runs for the third-straight game.
- Titus has now driven in 18 runs in the last six games.
- Ciliento has now hit safely in each of his last 12 games.
- Ciliento has three-straight two-hit games and has at least one RBI and one run scored in each of the last six.
- Ciliento scored the 100th run of his career on Wednesday.
- Cruz has four-straight multi-hit games and has driven in a run in four straight as well.
- Cruz's home run was the second of his career and his first since April 5, 2017. It was also at Conaty Park.
- Lacey's five strikeouts were a season high and one shy of his career high.
- Lacey tied his career high for innings pitched.
- Randazzo struck out a career-high four batters in a career-high two innings.
Bryant travels to Brooklyn for a three-game series against the defending Northeast Conference Tournament champions, LIU Brooklyn. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. on Friday.