SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team travels to Brooklyn this weekend for a three-game series against defending Northeast Conference tournament champion LIU Brooklyn.
Opponent: LIU Brooklyn
Location: LIU Field (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Date and Time: Mar. 29 – 3:00 p.m. | Mar. 30 – 1:00 p.m. | Mar. 31 – 1:00 p.m.
Live Stats: Sidearm
Game Notes: Bryant
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | #TCD | #NECBASE
Friday – LHP Steve Theetge (3-1, 0.74) vs. RHP Zach Pederson (2-3, 7.33)
Saturday – LHP Vito Morgese (0-1, 5.00) vs. RHP Nick Torres (1-2, 2.39)
Sunday – RHP Tyler Mattison (2-1, 7.11) vs. RHP Jackson Svete (1-1, 2.96)
Senior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) will open the series for the Black and Gold. He's won each of his last two starts and has allowed just one unearned run over his last 20 innings. Theetge allowed just one hit over six shutout innings last weekend vs. Central Connecticut, earning NEC Pitcher of the Week honors.
- Bryant owns a 31-13 lead in the all-time series against LIU Brooklyn. That includes 41 regular-season games and three NEC Tournament games.
- Bryant has won seven series and tied two others in 10 regular-season meetings. Last year, Bryant won three-of-four in Brooklyn.
- The Blackbirds, however, defeated Bryant in the winners bracket game in the 2018 NEC Tournament.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant enters the weekend at 14-9 overall and 2-1 in NEC play.
- The Bulldogs currently rank in the top 20 nationally with 8.0 runs per game and are averaging 13 runs per game over their last six.
- Bryant is hitting .304 as a team and has a 4.09 team ERA.
- Redshirt sophomore Jimmy Titus (Stafford, Conn.) is hitting .374 with six doubles, six home runs, 30 RBI and 22 runs scored. He's hit four home runs and driven in 18 runs in his last six games.
- Senior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) is hitting .513 with four doubles, four home runs, 14 RBI and 15 runs scored during his nine-game hitting streak. He has homered in each of the last three games and has four-straight three-hit games.
- Junior Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) is Bryant's leading hitter at .413 and has posted multiple hits in each of his last four games.
- Redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) and junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) both bring 12-game hitting streaks into the weekend.
Scouting the Blackbirds
- LIU enters the weekend at 7-14 overall and 1-2 in NEC play. The Blackbirds lost two-of-three against Sacred Heart two weeks ago.
- The Blackbirds earned a win over No. 9 Georgia earlier this year.
- LIU is hitting .214 as a team and the Blackbirds have a 4.50 team ERA.
- Greg Vaugh, last year's NEC Tournament MVP, has three doubles, two triples, four home runs, 15 RBI and 13 runs scored.
- Mike Krieger is LIU's top reliever, holding a 0.71 ERA and four saves in eight appearances.
Bryant begins a stretch of 10-straight games in the Ocean State when it travels to Rhode Island on Wednesday, April 3.