SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Sophomore Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) tossed seven scoreless innings and the offense posted double-digit runs for the second straight day as the Bryant University baseball team defeated Fairleigh Dickinson, 13-0, on Saturday afternoon at Conaty Park.
With the win, the Bulldogs have clinched the series with the Knights and will go for the sweep on Sunday.
Mattison allowed just four singles, walked two and struck out two to earn his fourth win of the season. He didn't allow a hit over the final four innings of his outing.
Redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) batted leadoff on Saturday and went 4-for-5 with a double, a home run, two RBI and two runs scored. Junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) contributed three hits, three RBI and two runs scored, while classmate Bryan Hart (Franklin, Mass.) had two hits, including a home run, four RBI and two runs scored.
Bryant 13, Fairleigh Dickinson 0
Records: Bryant (19-10, 6-2 NEC), Fairleigh Dickinson (4-22-1, 2-6 NEC)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Tyler Mattison (4-1) | James Donlon (0-4)
Coach Owens' Comments
"Very good offensive day from our entire lineup. Everyone did their job in our lineup today. We played good defense, especially Bryan Hart. Tyler settled in and did a really nice job of getting out of any jams he was in and was in control for most of the day. Real nice seven innings and Schoffy did what he needed to do to close it out. It was one of our most complete efforts of the season in front of a great crowd on a nice sunny day. The crowd is the best. When you're in the Northeast, no one goes to college or high school games except at Bryant University. We hope they had a good time and enjoyed the game because it was fun to play in front of them."
- Ward and Hart both homered in key spots to help the Bulldogs put the game away. Ward launched a two-run home run in the fourth to make it 6-0 and Hart put the exclamation point on a seven-run sixth with a three-run home run to left.
How it Happened
- Bryant scored three runs in the first inning for the second-straight day. Ward opened the game with a double to left and came around to score on a sac fly from classmate Jimmy Titus (Stafford, Conn.). Junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) was then hit by a pitch to restart the inning and scored from first on a Ciliento double. Sophomore Sam Owens (Scituate, R.I.) capped the inning with an RBI single through the left side.
- The Bulldogs extended their lead with three more runs in the fourth. Junior Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) singled to right and came around to score on a single to right center from Hart. Ward then lifted a two-run home run to right center to make it 6-0.
- Bryant's seven-run sixth was aided by two infield errors by the Knights. With the bases loaded and one out, Ciliento sliced a two-run double down the right field line. Owens followed with a two-run single up the middle and Hart capped the inning with a towering three-run home run to left-center.
- Bryant outhit FDU, 15-4.
- The Bulldogs didn't commit an error in the game.
- Mattison allowed four hits, walked two and struck out two over seven scoreless innings.
- Sophomore Tyler Schoff (Lee Center, N.Y.) pitched two scoreless innings to finish the game.
- Ward went 4-for-5 with a double, a home run, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Ciliento finished 3-for-4 with two doubles, three RBI and two runs scored.
- Owens went 2-for-4 with three RBI.
- Cruz finished 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- Freshman Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.) had two hits and a run scored.
- Hart went 2-for-4 with a home run, four RBI and two runs scored.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant improves to 37-4 all-time against FDU. The Bulldogs have won 12-straight against the Knights.
- Bryant is now 98-1 when scoring 10+ runs under head coach Steve Owens.
- Bryant secured the series victory over FDU and has now won or tied 66 of its 70 NEC series all-time.
- Mattison matched his career high in innings pitched on Saturday.
- He's allowed three runs (two earned) on just seven hits over his last two starts (13 IP).
- Mattison has now tossed 13 scoreless innings in two career starts vs. FDU.
- Ward posted his second four-hit game of the year and the seventh of his career.
- Ward hit his first home run since March 17 vs. Toledo and now has 13 in his career.
- Ciliento recorded his 11th multi-hit game of the year and his seventh multi-RBI game of the year.
- Hart is now 9-for-18 with two doubles, two home runs, eight RBI and nine runs scored in his last seven games.
- Sam Owens posted his third multi-hit game of the week and the 23rd multi-game of his career.
- Titus now has 27 RBI in his last 12 games.
Bryant and FDU wrap up their three-game series on Sunday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.