SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Sophomore Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) had two hits, three RBI and three runs scored and junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) added three RBI as the Bryant University baseball team completed a weekend sweep of Fairleigh Dickinson, 19-6, on Sunday afternoon at Conaty Park.
The sweep is Bryant's first of the season and runs its winning streak to a season-high five games. Bryant scored 44 runs on the weekend.
Batting second for the first time in his career, Kelly hit his fourth home run of the season and finished 2-for-5 with three RBI and three runs scored. Wright went 2-for-5 with three RBI, redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) had two RBI and two runs scored and freshman Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.) had two hits and two runs scored. Senior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) hit two doubles and drove in two in the eighth inning alone.
Junior Vito Morgese (Warwick, N.Y.) allowed three runs (two earned) on six hits, walked two and struck out eight over five innings to earn his first win of the year.
Bryant 19, Fairleigh Dickinson 6
Records: Bryant (20-10, 7-2 NEC), Fairleigh Dickinson (4-23-1, 2-7 NEC)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Vito Morgese (1-3) | Chris Quijano (0-3)
Coach Owens' Comments
"We had a good week. We went 4-0. We played three complete days in a row this weekend. We played errorless baseball the last two days and got a good start from Vito. We did a good job this weekend of not swinging at balls. With rare exceptions, we stayed in the strike zone with our approach and when we do that we score a lot of runs. We get a lot of production from a lot of different guys and that's the sign of a good ball club. We're going to lift tomorrow and get ready for two midweek games, including UConn at home on Tuesday before a weekend series with Hartford."
- Ward gave Bryant a 3-2 lead with a two-run single to right field and Wright plated two more with a double later in the inning as the Bulldogs scored six times in the second.
How it Happened
- FDU opened the game with two runs in the top of the first. Nate Brodsky opened the game with a single, stole second and scored on a single from Mike Veit. A two-out single by Bobby Romano made it 2-0.
- Kelly got the Bulldogs on the board as he launched a solo home run to left center in the bottom of the first.
- Bryant then plated six runs in the bottom of the second. The Bulldogs loaded the bases with one out and Ward gave them the lead with a two-run single to right. A bases-loaded walk scored the third run of the inning and Wright followed with a two-run double to left field to make it 6-2. The final run of the inning came across on a ground ball to short.
- The Bulldogs extended their lead with three runs in the third and one more in the fourth. In the third, junior Bryan Hart (Franklin, Mass.) reached on a bunt single and then scored after consecutive errors by the Knights. Kelly and Wright then delivered RBI singles to make it 11-2.
- In the fourth, Gustin doubled down the left field line and came in to score on a ground ball from Kelly.
- Bryant extended the lead to 10 in the sixth as sophomore Sam Owens (Scituate, R.I.) laced a sinking liner to left that eluded the diving left fielder. His double plated two and made it 13-3.
- The Bulldogs closed their scoring with six more runs in the eighth. Back-to-back doubles from Panno and junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) plated the first run, a throwing error scored the second and sophomore Nick Viscariello (Plymouth, Mass.) delivered an RBI single. After a bases-loaded walk, Panno drove in the final two runs with his second double of the inning.
- Bryant outhit FDU, 16-10.
- The Bulldogs played errorless baseball for the second-straight game.
- Morgese allowed three runs (two earned) on six hits, walked three and struck out eight over five innings.
- Senior Craig Lacey (Westfield, Mass.) tossed a scoreless sixth.
- Junior Jack Ipsen (Eatontown, N.J.) tossed a scoreless seventh.
- Redshirt senior Justin Snyder (Georgetown, Mass.) struck out two in a scoreless eighth.
- Titus finished 2-for-3 with two walks, an RBI and two runs scored.
- Kelly went 2-for-5 with two walks, three RBI and three runs scored.
- Gustin was 2-for-4 with a double and two runs scored.
- Wright finished 2-for-5 with three RBI.
- Ward went 1-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Owens finished with a double and two RBI.
- Panno doubled twice and drove in two runs.
- Ciliento drove in two and scored twice.
- Hart had two hits and two runs scored.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant improves to 38-4 all-time against FDU. The Bulldogs have won 13-straight against the Knights.
- Bryant is now 99-1 when scoring 10+ runs under head coach Steve Owens.
- Bryant scored double-digit runs in all three games this weekend.
- The Bulldogs hit .361 with 10 doubles, a triple and five home runs on the weekend.
- The Bulldogs' five-game winning streak is their longest since they won seven straight in the middle of April last year.
- Morgese's eight strikeouts were his most this season and one shy of his career high.
- Titus now has 28 RBI in his last 13 games and has 40 on the season.
- Kelly's home run was the seventh of his career.
- Kelly tied his career high with three runs scored.
- Panno posted multiple doubles for the second time this season and the fourth time in his career.
- Gustin finished the weekend 5-for-11 with a double, triple and seven runs scored.
- Owens went 5-for-9 with six RBI on the weekend.
- Titus finished the weekend 4-for-9 with four walks, six RBI and five runs scored.
Bryant welcomes regional rival Connecticut to Conaty Park on Tuesday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.