HAMDEN, Conn. – Sophomore Tyler Schoff (Lee Center, N.Y.) tossed a career-high six innings and junior Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) drove in four runs to lead the Bryant University baseball team to a 14-5 victory over Quinnipiac on Wednesday afternoon at the QU Baseball Field.
Bryant's offense hit four home runs and scored double-digit runs for the fourth-straight game, while Schoff and classmate Matthew Stansky (Douglas, Mass.) combined for the victory.
Cruz went 2-for-4 with a home run and four RBI and was one of five Bulldogs to finish with multiple hits. Sophomore Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) homered, drove in two and scored twice, redshirt sophomore Jimmy Titus (Stafford, Conn.) had three hits, including a home run, two RBI and two runs scored and junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) had three hits, two RBI and three runs scored. Classmate James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) chipped in his second-straight three-hit game.
Schoff gave the Bulldogs exactly what they needed as he battled through six innings to earn his second win of the year. He allowed five runs on eight hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out two. Stansky closed out the game with three innings of scoreless relief. He allowed just one hit.
Bryant 14, Quinnipiac 5
Records: Bryant (25-12), Quinnipiac (15-20)
Location: The QU Baseball Field (Hamden, Conn.)
W|L|S: Tyler Schoff (2-0) | Colin Donnelly (3-1) | Matthew Stansky (1)
Coach Owens' Comments
"Got a great start and good relief. We really needed that. Our lineup was awesome the entire day. We got hits and RBIs from everyone. We got two big defensive plays, turning double plays in the infield and outfield at key points in the game. We're going to rest up and get ready for tomorrow."
- Moments after the Bobcats made it a 4-3 game, the Bulldogs answered with a five-run fourth inning to take a 9-3 lead. Senior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) had the key hit in the inning with a two-out, two-strike, two-run single.
How it Happened
- Bryant the quick lead as Kelly crushed his sixth home run of the year two batters into the game.
- The Bobcats answered with a two-run home run off the bat of Evan Vulgamore in the bottom of the first.
- Bryant quickly regained the lead in the second as Cruz singled and senior Tyler Panno (Rivervale, N.J.) walloped a two-run home run to right center.
- The Bulldogs extended their lead in the third with good team baseball. Kelly singled, stole second, took third on a fly out and scored on a ground out.
- After Quinnipiac made it 4-3 in the bottom of the third, the Black and Gold answered with five runs in the top of the fourth. A single and a walk started the inning before Panno was able to beat out a throw at second on a ground ball, loading the bases. Kelly then drew a bases-loaded walk to force in the first run and Titus followed with an RBI single. Wright would also draw a bases-loaded walk before Angelini capped the inning with a two-out, two-run single to make it 9-3.
- The Bobcats would make it 9-4 with a sac fly in the bottom of the fourth.
- Bryant put the game away with a run in the sixth and four more in the eighth. In the sixth, back-to-back singles opened the inning and Cruz brought home a run with a sac fly.
- Titus opened the eighth with an opposite field home run to right center and Cruz capped the inning with a three-run home run to left center.
- Bryant outhit Quinnipiac, 16-9.
- Schoff allowed five runs on eight hits over six innings. He didn't walk a batter and struck out two.
- Stansky earned the save with three innings of scoreless relief.
- Kelly went 2-for-5 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Titus finished 3-for-6 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Wright went 2-for-5 with two RBI and three runs scored.
- Ciliento collected three singles.
- Angelini finished with a single and two RBI.
- Cruz went 2-for-4 with a home run, four RBI and two runs scored.
- Panno finished 1-for-4 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant improved to 19-1 all-time against Quinnipiac. The Bulldogs have won both meetings this year and each of the last 13 against the Bobcats.
- Bryant now has 54 home runs on the season. The DI single-season record is 57 set in 2016.
- The Bulldogs have now homered in 10-straight games and have hit multiple home runs in four-straight.
- Bryant scored double-digit runs for the fourth-straight game and for the eighth time in the last 10 games.
- Ward now has 20 hits over his last nine games.
- Titus hit his ninth home run of the year. The nine home runs are a new career high and lead the NEC.
- Titus extended is NEC-leading RBI total to 48.
- Kelly hit his sixth home run of the season and the ninth of his career.
- Panno's home run was his second of the year and his first since Feb. 17 at Abilene Christian. He now has nine in his career.
- Cruz hit his third home run of the year and the fourth of his career. The four RBI tie a career high.
- Schoff earned his second-career win this afternoon.
- Schoff's six innings were a career high. He also tied the longest outing by a midweek starter this year for the Bulldogs.
- Stansky earned his first-career save on Wednesday. The three innings match his career high.
Bryant opens a three-game Northeast Conference series at Central Connecticut on Thursday. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m. on Thursday in New Britain.