SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) tied a career-high with four hits but Boston College posted 18 hits on its way to a 10-4 victory over the Bryant University baseball team on Wednesday afternoon at Conaty Park.
Wright finished 4-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored, while classmate James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) went 2-for-4 with a double, an RBI and a run scored. Freshman Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.) added two hits, an RBI and a run scored.
Boston College 10, Bryant 4
Records: Bryant (28-13), Boston College (21-22)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Joey Walsh (3-5) | Will Treuel (1-1) | Matt Gill (2)
- Bryant took a 2-1 lead into the top of the second but the first four Eagles all reached, with Chris Galland's two-run single giving BC a lead it would not relinquish.
How it Happened
- BC got on the board first as Jake Alu singled and came around to score on a wild pitch. Freshman John MacDonald (Stamford, Conn.) escaped further trouble as he induced an inning-ending 6-3 double play.
- Bryant answered with two runs in the bottom of the first. Sophomore Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) walked, took second on a wild pitch and scored on a two-out single up the middle from Wright. Ciliento then followed with a line drive that carried over the right fielder's head for an RBI double.
- The Eagles responded by loading the bases on two singles and walk. Chris Galland then plated two with a single through the left side and Sal Frelick's sac fly made it 4-2.
- Boston College extended its lead with a two-out rally in the third. Joe Suozzi doubled with two outs and scored on a two-out single from Galland.
- Bryant got a run back in the fourth as Gustin walked and came around to score on a single from redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.).
- The Eagles pushed the lead to 7-3 with a pair of two-out runs in the 5th. An infield single scored the first run and a bases-loaded walk plated the second.
- Gustin brought Bryant back within three in the bottom of the inning as he singled home Ciliento with two outs.
- Boston College plated two runs in the top of the sixth. Gian Martellini (double) and Cody Morissette (triple) both plated runs to make it 9-4.
- Boston College outhit Bryant, 18-12.
- Wright finished 4-for-5 with a run and an RBI.
- Ciliento went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Senior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) had two hits and an RBI.
- Gustin finished 2-for-3 with two walks, an RBI and a run scored.
- MacDonald allowed one run on two hits in one inning as the starter.
- Redshirt senior Justin Snyder (Georgetown, Mass.) tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings.
- Senior Nathan Wrighter (Windsor, N.Y.) allowed one run over two innings.
- Redshirt junior Jack Owens (Scituate, R.I.) and sophomore Matthew Stansky (Douglas, Mass.) retired the final six batters.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant falls to 4-8 against Boston College at the DI level.
- Bryant's streak of 13-straight games with a home run was snapped.
- Ward now has 28 hits over his last 13 games. He's hit safely in all 13 of those contests.
- Ciliento's 54 runs scored are tied for the fifth-most in a single-season in program history.
- Wright has now reached safely in 30-straight games.
- Wright's four hits tie his career high.
- Gustin extended his hitting streak to eight games.
Bryant travels to Staten Island to open a Northeast Conference series with Wagner on Friday afternoon. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.