SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team heads to Staten Island for a key for Northeast Conference series with Wagner this weekend.
**Friday's series opener was postponed due to rain. Bryant and Wagner will now play a doubleheader beginning at noon on Saturday. The series finale is still scheduled for Sunday at 1 p.m.**
Opponent: Wagner College
Location: Richmond County Bank Ballpark (Staten Island, N.Y.)
Date and Time: Apr. 27 – 12:00 and 4:00 | Apr. 28 – 1:00 p.m.
Live Stats: Sidearm
Game Notes: Bryant
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | #TCD | #NECBASE
Senior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) and sophomore Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) will get the ball to start the series. Theetge is 21-1 in his career against the NEC and enters the weekend with 29 career victories, just one shy of tying the program record. Mattison has won each of his last four starts, surrendering just two walks over 26 innings.
- Bryant leads the all-time series with Wagner, 29-13.
- The Bulldogs and Seahawks split six regular-season meetings last season and shared the NEC Regular-Season title.
- Bryant and Wagner have met in the postseason in four of the last five seasons. The Seahawks have eliminated Bryant each of the last two years.
- The series has always been tight with 36 of the 42 games having been decided by four runs or less.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant enters the weekend at 28-13 overall and in first place in the NEC with a 10-2 record.
- The Bulldogs have swept each of their last two conference weekends, defeating FDU and CCSU.
- In NEC-only games, Bryant leads the league in scoring (10.9), average (.341), doubles (33), home runs (27) and has struck out the fewest times.
- The Bulldogs also rank fourth nationally in batting average (.320), second in hits (488) and third in scoring (9.1).
- Junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) is on the verge of becoming just the fourth player in DI program history to record 50+ RBI and 50+ runs scored in the same season. He has 48 RBI and 54 runs scored.
- Redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) has hit safely in 13-straight games and now has 64 hits on the year, a number that ranks 16th in the country.
- Junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) has reached safely in each of the last 30 games and is hitting .305 with 12 doubles, six home runs and 37 RBI. He also leads the NEC with nine saves and also registers 17.18 k/9.
Scouting the Seahawks
- Wagner shared the NEC Regular-Season crown with the Bulldogs last season and enter this weekend in second place in the league.
- The Seahawks are 15-21 overall and 8-7 in NEC play.
- Wagner is hitting .269 as a team and has a team ERA of 6.06.
- Will Johnson leads the team with a .351 average and also 28 walks and a .473 OBP.
- Anthony Pecora has driven in a team high 24 runs with nine doubles, three triples and five home runs.
Bryant begins an eight-game homestand on Tuesday Apr. 30 when it welcomes Quinnipiac to Conaty Park. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.