SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team opens an eight-game homestand with midweek games against Quinnipiac (Tuesday) and Northeastern (Wednesday) at Conaty Park.
Opponents: Quinnipiac and Northeastern
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
Date and Time: Apr. 30 – 3:00 p.m. | May 1 – 3:00 p.m.
Watch: Tuesday | Wednesday
Live Stats: Tuesday | Wednesday
Game Notes: Bryant
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | #TCD | #NECBASE
Senior Craig Lacey (Westfield, Mass.) and sophomore Tyler Schoff (Lee Center, N.Y.) will make midweek starts for the Bulldogs. Lacey will be making his fourth start and his first since tossing five scoreless in a win against Brown. Schoff will be making his sixth and first since tossing six solid innings in a win over Quinnipiac two weeks ago.
- Bryant is 19-1 all-time against Quinnipiac and has beaten the Bobcats in both previous meetings this season.
- The Bulldogs earned a 5-2 win in March before posting a 14-5 victory two weeks ago in Hamden.
- Bryant owns a 9-3 lead in the Division I series with Northeastern. The Bulldogs had won seven straight against the Huskies before Northeastern posted a 10-3 victory last year.
- The Black and Gold outscored Northeastern 84-20 during the seven-game winning streak.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant enters the week at 31-13 after a weekend sweep of Northeast Conference rival Wagner.
- The Bulldogs have now won 30 games seven times in nine seasons under head coach Steve Owens.
- Bryant has also swept four-straight weekend series for the first time since the 2013 season.
- The Bulldogs fifth nationally in batting average (.316), second in home runs (70), second in hits (513), second in runs (388) and fourth in scoring (8.8).
- Redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) leads the Bulldogs with 70 hits and is batting .378 with 14 doubles, 10 home runs, 41 RBI and 45 runs scored.
- Ward became just the third player in DI program history to have 20+ home runs in a career with his solo shot on Sunday at Wagner.
- Classmate Jimmy Titus (Stafford, Conn.) and junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) also have 10 home runs on the season. Titus has driven in 52 runs, while Ciliento has scored 55 times to go along with 48 RBI.
- Senior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) is the only player in program history with 40+ doubles, 10+ triples and 20+ home runs, 150+ RBI, 170+ runs scored, 50+ stolen bases and 100+ walks.
- Sophomore Sam Owens (Scituate, R.I.) and junior Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) continue to provide a great 1-2 punch behind the plate. They have combined for 12 doubles, 12 home runs, 53 RBI and 52 runs scored. Owens leads the Bulldogs with a .464 OBP.
Scouting the Bobcats
- Quinnipiac is 18-23 overall and 10-4 in MAAC play this year.
- The Bobcats are hitting .276 as a team and have clubbed 84 doubles.
- Ian Ostberg is batting .333 to lead the team, while Evan Vulgamore has 13 doubles, four home runs and 35 RBI.
Scouting the Huskies
- Northeastern is 18-24 overall and 8-10 in the CAA.
- The Huskies are hitting .250 as a team and have a team ERA of 4.70.
- Ian Fair leads the team with a .308 average and six home runs, while Jake Farrell has 10 doubles, five triples, six home runs and 30 RBI.
Bryant welcomes Mount St. Mary's to Conaty Park for a three-game NEC series this weekend. The series is scheduled to begin Friday at 3:00 p.m.