SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team welcomes Mount St. Mary's to Conaty Park for a three-game Northeast Conference series this weekend.
Opponent: Mount St. Mary's
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
Date and Time: May 3 – 3:00 p.m. | May 4 – 1:00 p.m. | May 5 – 1:00 p.m.
Live Stats: Friday | Saturday | Sunday
Game Notes: Bryant
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | #TCD | #NECBASE
Senior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.), sophomore Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) and freshman John MacDonald (Stamford, Conn.) will get the ball this weekend for the Bulldogs. Theetge enters the weekend with 29 career victories, one shy of tying the program record. He is 5-0 against Mount in his career, including a win in last year's NEC Tournament. Mattison is coming off six scoreless innings against Wagner last week, while MacDonald earned a win his first-career NEC start last weekend.
- Bryant is 35-4 all-time against Mount St. Mary's.
- The Bulldogs won five of the seven meetings between the two teams last year, including a 21-6 victory in the first game of the NEC Tournament.
- Bryant had won 30-straight games against the Mount before the Mountaineers earned a pair of wins last spring.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant enters the weekend at 32-14 overall and 13-2 in the NEC.
- The Bulldogs have a five-game lead in the NEC standings and their magic number to clinch an eighth-straight regular-season title is five.
- Bryant has hit 71 home runs this spring which is tied for the most in a single season in NEC history.
- Redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) has hit safely in 18-straight games and now has 11 home runs, 45 RBI and 48 runs scored on the year.
- Junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) needs just three runs scored this weekend to become only the sixth player in program history to score 60+ runs in a single season.
- He also needs just two RBI to become only the fourth player in DI program history to record 50+ RBI and 50+ runs scored in a single season.
- Classmate Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) was named to the NCBWA Stopper of the Year Midseason Watch List thanks to his league-leading 11 saves. He's also driven in 41 runs and has a 34-game on-base streak.
Scouting the Mountaineers
- Mount enters the weekend at 13-30 overall and 6-12 in the NEC.
- The Mountaineers are one of the top offensive teams in the league, hitting .291 with 42 home runs and 6.76 runs per game.
- The trio of Alex Kriss, Myles Nicholson and Patrick Causa paces the offense. Kriss has 13 doubles, five home runs and 45 RBI, while Nicholson is hitting .374 with 34 stolen bases and 40 runs scored.
- Causa is having an MVP-caliber season, hitting .404 with 10 doubles, 11 home runs, 34 RBI and 41 runs scored.
- The Mount has a team ERA of 6.79, however.
Bryant will not have a midweek contest next week. The Bulldogs return to the diamond on May 10 when they start a three-game series against LIU Brooklyn.