SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Senior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) tied the program record for career victories as the Bryant University baseball team defeated Mount St. Mary's 4-1 on Friday afternoon at Conaty Park.
**Bryant and Mount St. Mary's have moved up the start time of Saturday's game to 12:00 p.m. A determination on the number of games on Saturday will be made at 9 a.m.**
Theetge allowed one run on eight hits and struck out five over eight innings to earn his 30th career victory, tying him with Peter Kelich for the most in program history. He is now 7-1 this season and 30-13 in his Black and Gold career. Theetge also added a double play ball and picked off a runner to complete the perfect outing.
Senior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.), sophomore Sam Owens (Scituate, R.I.) and junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) all finished with multiple hits. Angelini went 3-for-4 with three RBI, while Owens doubled twice, drove in a run and scored twice.
Bryant 4, Mount St. Mary's 1
Records: Bryant (33-14, 14-2), Mount St. Mary's (13-31, 6-13)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Steve Theetge (7-1) | Trey McGough (3-4) | Nathan Wrighter (3)
Coach Owens' Comments
"We had great offensive days from Nick and Sam. Nick got in good counts, Sam had two doubles. Steve Theetge pitched a great game. He did a good job of minimizing and controlling the game. Nate came in and got the job done. Defense was solid. Hopefully we come out tomorrow with a little more energy and focus.
It's a tremendous accomplishment for him to have that many wins at the Division I level. And to be as consistent and as durable as he's been. Hopefully he can get No. 31 next week."
- Theetge stranded the bases loaded in the top of the third with a ground ball to short.
- In the bottom of the inning, Owens doubled home a run and Angelini followed with a two-run single to right to make it 4-0.
How it Happened
- Bryant took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second. Owens doubled off the left field wall and came around to score as Angelini singled through the left side.
- The Bulldogs made it 4-0 with a three-run third. Owens scored the first run of the inning with a double down the right field line and Angelini made it 4-0 with a two-run single to right field.
- The Mount plated its only run in the fifth as Alex Kriss doubled to right field.
- Bryant and Mount both finished with eight hits.
- Theetge allowed one run on eight hits, walked two and struck out five.
- Senior Nathan Wrighter (Windsor, N.Y.) earned the save with a scoreless ninth. He struck out two.
- Ciliento finished 2-for-4.
- Owens went 2-for-4 with two doubles, an RBI and two runs scored.
- Angelini finished 3-for-4 with three RBI.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant is now 36-4 all-time against Mount St. Mary's.
- Theetge earned his 30th career victory, tying him for the most in program history.
- Theetge made his 52nd career start on Friday, the most by a pitcher in DI program history.
- Theetge improved to 6-0 in his career against Mount St. Mary's.
- Theetge now leads the NEC with seven wins.
- Theetge improved to 22-1 in 27 career NEC starts.
- Theetge has now picked off seven runners this season and 18 in his career (DI program record).
- Redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) saw his 18-game hitting streak come to a close.
- Junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) walked and was hit by a pitch and has now reached safely in 35-straight games. It is the 14th-longest active streak in the country.
- Wrighter earned his third save of the year and the 12th of his career.
- Wrighter is fifth in DI program history with 71 career appearances.
Bryant and Mount St. Mary's continue their weekend series on Saturday afternoon at 12:00 p.m.