SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) tied his career high with four RBI to lead the Bryant University baseball team to a 5-1 victory over Mount St. Mary's in game one of Saturday's Northeast Conference doubleheader at Conaty Park.
With the win, the Bulldogs clinched the series and have now won 69 of their 73 NEC series since 2010.
Sophomore Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) continued his strong run on the mound, allowing just one run on five hits over seven innings. He walked two and struck out six to improve to 7-1 on the year.
Bryant 5, Mount St. Mary's 1
Records: Bryant (34-14, 15-2), Mount St. Mary's (13-32, 6-14)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Tyler Mattison (7-1) | Jordan Geber (1-2)
- Wright broke a 1-1 tie as he golfed an 0-2 pitch into right center for a two-run single to make it 3-1.
- Mount loaded the bases with no outs in the seventh but Mattison got a strikeout and then fielded a comebacker to start an inning-ending 1-6-3 double play.
How it Happened
- Mount grabbed the lead in game one with an unearned run in the first. Owen Wosleger reached on an error to start the game, went to third on a sac bunt and scored on a single from Patrick Causa.
- Bryant plated the tying run in the bottom of the second. Sophomore Sam Owens (Scituate, R.I.) singled to open the inning, took second on a failed pickoff and scored as Gustin singled through the right side.
- The Bulldogs took the lead with two runs in the third. A wild pitch put runners on second and third and Wright knocked an 0-2 pitch into right center to plate both.
- Wright was at it again in the fifth as he followed a double from redshirt sophomore Jimmy Titus (Stafford, Conn.) with a two-run single through the left side to make it 5-1.
- Mattison allowed one unearned run on five hits, walked two and struck out six over seven innings.
- Redshirt senior Justin Snyder (Georgetown, Mass.) retired the only batter he faced in the 8th.
- Redshirt junior Jack Owens (Scituate, R.I.) struck out both batters he faced in the eighth.
- Wright tossed a scoreless ninth to close the game.
- Wright went 3-for-4 with four RBI.
- Gustin finished 3-for-4 with an RBI.
- Nicolas went 2-for-3.
- Owens was 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Ciliento finished 1-for-4 with two runs scored.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant is now 37-4 all-time against Mount St. Mary's.
- Bryant has now won 69 of their 73 NEC series.
- Wright has now reached safely in 36-straight games.
- Wright's four RBI tied a career high. He also drove in four runs against Winthrop and LIU Brooklyn this year.
- Mattison has allowed three runs or less in each of his last six starts.
- Mattison improved to 8-2 against NEC foes in his career.
- Wright has now struck out 49 batters in 26 1/3 innings.