SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team welcomes LIU Brooklyn to Conaty Park for a Northeast Conference series this weekend.
Bryant will honor its eight-member senior class prior to Sunday's series finale.
Opponent: LIU Brooklyn
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
Date and Time: May 10 – 3:00 p.m. | May 11 – 3:00 p.m. | May 12 – 1:00 p.m.
Live Stats: Friday | Saturday | Sunday
Game Notes: Bryant
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | #TCD | #NECBASE
Senior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) and sophomore Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) are the only two known starters for the Bulldogs this weekend. Theetge tied the program record for career wins last week when he claimed his 30th with eight innings of one-run ball. Mattison followed that up with seven innings of one-run ball as both improved to 7-1 on the year.
- Bryant holds a 33-14 lead in the all-time series with LIU Brooklyn. This will be the second meeting between the two teams this year.
- The Bulldogs won 2-of-3 against the Blackbirds in Brooklyn the last weekend of March.
- Bryant won game one 10-2 and game three 4-2. The Blackbirds won the middle game, 5-4.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant enters the weekend at 34-15 overall and 15-3 in the NEC.
- The Bulldogs have clinched a spot in the 2019 NEC Tournament and their magic numbers is 2 to clinch the regular season title.
- Bryant ranks second nationally in hits and runs scored, fourth in batting average and fifth in scoring.
- Bryant's 73 home runs are the most in a single season in DI program history.
- Redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) has 76 hits on the year, ranking 10th nationally. He has 14 doubles, 11 home runs, 45 RBI and 48 runs scored.
- Junior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) became just the fourth player in program history with 60+ runs scored in a single season.
- Classmate Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) has the 10th longest active on-base streak in the country, having reached in 37 straight. He's posted 45 RBI and also has 11 saves.
Scouting the Blackbirds
- LIU Brooklyn enters the weekend at 18-28 overall and 8-10 in the NEC.
- The Blackbirds are currently tied with Sacred Heart for the final playoff spot.
- LIU is hitting .245 as a team and has a 5.05 team ERA.
- Alex Briggs has driven in a team-high 28 runs and scored team-leading 32 times.
- Mike Krieger is LIU's closer and has posted a 2.89 ERA and six saves. He's walked 12 and struck out 30 on the year.
Bryant will play its final midweek game of the year when it travels to UMass Lowell on Tuesday, May 14. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.