SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team travels to Bridgeport, Connecticut, to wrap up the regular season with a three-game series against Sacred Heart.
Opponent: Sacred Heart
Location: Veterans Memorial Park (Bridgeport, Conn.)
Date and Time: May 16 – 3:00 p.m. | May 17 – 1:00 p.m. | May 18 – 1:00 p.m.
Live Stats: Thursday | Friday | Saturday
Game Notes: Bryant
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | #TCD | #NECBASE
Thursday – Steve Theetge (7-2, 2.20) vs. Baylor Sundahl (1-4, 7.00)
Friday – Tyler Mattison (8-1, 3.58) vs. Ryan LaMay (3-4, 5.16)
Saturday – Nathan Wrighter (3-1, 3.11) vs. Matt Aufiero (2-0, 4.76)
Bryant will go with the same rotation for the second-straight week. Senior Steve Theetge (Syracuse, N.Y.) enters as the NEC leader in ERA and strikeouts (79), while sophomore Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) is 5-0 with a 1.52 ERA in seven NEC starts. Senior Nathan Wrighter (Windsor, N.Y.) will make his third start of the year on Saturday after tossing four innings last week vs. LIU Brooklyn.
- Bryant holds a 29-16 lead in 45 career meetings with Sacred Heart at the Division I level.
- The Bulldogs won 3-of-4 against Sacred Heart last season in Smithfield.
- Bryant and Sacred Heart have formed one of the NEC's premier rivalries after meeting in the NEC Championship round in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant enters the weekend at 36-17 following a midweek loss to UMass Lowell on Tuesday.
- The Bulldogs are 17-4 in NEC play and have wrapped up the No. 1 seed for next weeks NEC Tournament.
- With one win, Bryant would claim the NEC Regular-Season title outright.
- Bryant leads the conference in nearly every offensive category in NEC-only contests. The Bulldogs are hitting .324 with a .528 slugging percentage and a .418 OBP.
- Bryant also leads the NEC in ERA (2.90), opposing batting average (.235) and strikeouts (180).
- Junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) has reached safely in 41-straight games, tied for the seventh-longest streak in the country. It is the second-longest in DI program history (Robby Rinn – 50).
- Senior Nick Angelini (Bedford, N.H.) leads Bryant with a .407 average in NEC-only games. He's posted five doubles, four home runs, 22 RBI and 22 runs scored in 21 games.
- Angelini is also one of four Bulldogs that have posted 100+ total bases this season.
Scouting the Pioneers
- Sacred Heart enters the weekend at 18-30-1 overall and 10-11 in NEC play.
- The Pioneers are currently in third place in the NEC standings, one game up on LIU Brooklyn and Fairleigh Dickinson.
- SHU is hitting .265 as a team and have posted a team ERA of 6.63.
- Jake Frasca leads the team with a .348 average, 13 doubles and 28 RBI.
- Justin Jordan leads the NEC in NEC-only batting average at .423.
Bryant heads to Dodd Stadium in Norwich, Connecticut, for the 2019 NEC Baseball Championships Memorial Day weekend.