BRIDGEPORT, Conn. – Justin Levito delivered a walk-off single in the bottom of the 10th inning to give Sacred Heart a 3-2 victory over the Bryant University baseball team on Friday afternoon at Veterans Memorial Park.
Bryant and Sacred Heart have now split the first two games of the series and will play the rubber match on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 p.m.
On Friday, freshman Vincenzo Castronovo (Utica, N.Y.) hit a game-tying two-run home run in the top of the seventh and junior Chris Wright (Cumberland, R.I.) struck out eight in three innings of relief but the Bulldogs were unable to add a third run.
Redshirt sophomore Ryan Ward (Millbury, Mass.) collected two hits to become the 20th player in program history to record 200 career hits.
Sacred Heart 3, Bryant 2
Records: Bryant (37-18, 18-5), Sacred Heart (19-31-1, 11-12)
Location: Veterans Memorial Park (Bridgeport, Conn.)
W|L|S: John Cerrentani (4-0) | Jack Owens (4-2)
- Levito pinch hit for Danny Glendon in the 10th and hit a 2-1 pitch into left center for the walk-off single.
How it Happened
- Sacred Heart broke the scoreless deadlock in the fourth as Elijah Brown and Steve Thibault hit back-to-back doubles, both eluding diving outfielders, to score two.
- Castronovo brought the game even in the seventh as he launched a 2-0 pitch over the right field wall for a two-run home run.
- The Pioneers had a chance to win the game in the 10th, putting runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Wright struck out Justin Jordan swinging, intentionally walked Jake Frasca and then got a fly ball to center to end the inning.
- In the 10th, an infield single and a double down the first base line put the first two Pioneers on. The Bulldogs recorded an out at home as sophomore Sam Owens (Scituate, R.I.) scrambled after a wild pitch and threw to home to get the runner. Two walks, however, loaded the bases and Levito ended the game with a single.
- Sacred Heart outhit Bryant, 8-6.
- Sophomore Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) allowed two runs on four hits, walked two and struck out five over four innings.
- Classmate Matthew Stansky (Douglas, Mass.) tossed two scoreless innings of relief. He allowed one hit and walked one.
- Wright struck out eight over three scoreless innings of relief. He didn't allow a hit but walked four and hit a batter.
- Ward finished 2-for-5.
- Castronovo went 1-for-3 with a home run.
- Freshman Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.) went 1-for-4 with a double.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant is now 30-17 against Sacred Heart at the DI level.
- The Bulldogs have now hit 76 home runs on the year, extending their NEC single-season record.
- Wright struck out a season-high eight batters on Friday. He now has 60 strikeouts in 31 1/3 innings this season.
- Wright's on-base streak came to a close at 42 games.
- Ward now has 89 hits on the season and now holds the top two spots in DI single-season program history. His hit total also ranks tied for fourth in program history.
- Ward's second hit of the game was also the 200th of his career. He is the second Bulldog this season and the 20th in DI program history.
- Ward is the fastest player in program history to reach 200 career hits.
- Ward posted his 28th multi-hit game of the year.
- Owens has now been hit 20 times this season. The single-season record is 22.
- Castronovo's home run was his fourth of the year and his first since Apr. 16.
Bryant and Sacred Heart wrap up the series and the regular season on Saturday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.