SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University football team and Sacred Heart renew their rivalry this weekend at Beirne Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 12:05 p.m. and the game will be featured on ESPN3 as the Northeast Conference game of the week.
Opponent: Sacred Heart (3-5, 1-2 NEC)
Location: Beirne Stadium | Smithfield, R.I.
Kickoff: 12:05 p.m.
Watch Live: ESPN3.com
Listen Live: WOON 1240 or onworldwide.com
Live Stats: Sidearm
- Bryant and Sacred Heart will be meeting for the 10th time in program history.
- The Pioneers own a 5-4 lead in the all-time series and have won three of the last four meetings.
- Last season, Bryant snapped a three-game skid in the series with a 42-34 victory in Fairfield. The Black and Gold fell behind 14-0 in the first three minutes of the game but outscored the Pioneers 28-3 over the final 27 minutes of the first half.
- The Bulldogs are 2-2 at home against the Pioneers.
- This game has taken on a new meeting over the last few years as the teams have built a strong rivalry. Things really heated up in 2014 when both teams entered the matchup nationally ranked. Sacred Heart won the game, and the league title, with a 14-7 victory in Fairfield.
- Another wrinkle was added last year with the introduction of a trophy to the rivalry. Each year, the two teams will now play for a sledgehammer. The victorious team can paint the hammer in their respective school color for the year.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- Bryant snapped a three-game losing streak last week with a 31-16 victory over Wagner. It was the Bulldogs' first NEC win of the year.
- The Bulldogs are averaging just 305 yards of total offense in three NEC games. In five non-league games, Bryant had averaged 484 yards of total offense.
- Junior Thomas Costigan (Stamford, Conn.) was named the STATS FCS National Defensive Player of the Week on Monday afternoon. He posted 11 tackles, four tackles for a loss and two sacks last weekend.
- Over his last 12 games, Costigan has 108 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 21 tackles for a loss and six forced fumbles.
- Redshirt sophomore Jean Constant (Delray Beach, Fla.) was named the NEC Special Teams Player of the Week and ranks third nationally in return yards. His 100-yard return against Wagner tied a program record.
- Constant's 778 kick return yards are a single-season program record. The previous record was 620 by Jerell Smith in 2007.
- Senior Tom Kennedy (Farmingdale, N.Y.) has scored a touchdown in five-straight games entering Saturday. He has three rushing touchdowns and four receiving touchdowns on the year.
- Redshirt junior Price Wilson (Marietta, Ga.) has thrown for 2,401 yards this season, leading the league with an avergae of 300 yards per game. He is the currently the only QB in program history to average 300+ yards per game and is 2,401 yards are the third-most in a single season in program history.
A bit about the Pioneers
- The Pioneers enter Saturday with the same record as the Bulldogs, sitting 3-5 overall and 1-2 in the NEC.
- Sacred Heart was defeated by Duquesne, 37-21, last weekend at home.
- The Pioneers have the league's top rushing offense, averaging 190 yards per game. They also have the league's second-ranked run defense, allowing just 136 yards per game.
- Kevin Duke is in his first year as a starting QB and has 1,697 yards and 10 touchdowns, while also rushing for 300 yards and a team-leading five scores.
- CJ Parvelus leads the team and the NEC with 10.4 tackles per game.
- Kevin Barry has 66 tackles and 10.5 tackles for a loss.