SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Fordham University scored 23 points in the fourth quarter, defeating the Bryant University football team, 29-14, on Saturday afternoon at Beirne Stadium.
The Bulldogs led 7-6 at the half and 14-6 heading into the fourth quarter but the Rams scored on four-straight fourth-quarter possessions to earn the victory.
Sophomore Daniel Adeboboye (Toronto, Ont.) rushed for a career-high 99 yards and a touchdown on a career-high 22 carries, while Anthony Frederick (Hollywood, Fla.) caught four passes for 62 yards, including his first-career touchdown.
Senior Tomas Wright (St. Augustine, Fla.) led the defense with a career-high 11 tackles, while sophomore Joe Andreessen (Depew, N.Y.) posted seven tackles, two sacks and three tackles for a loss. Junior David Onyemem (Dracut, Mass.) intercepted his second-career pass.
Fordham 29, Bryant 14
Records: Bryant (0-3), Fordham (1-2)
Coach Merritt's Comments
"We played good football in the first half. We played with a purpose. In the second half, when our backs are against the wall, we have to find a way to make plays. We need to find a way to execute when our backs are against the wall."
- Fordham took the lead for the first time and for good when Tim DeMorat connected with Fotis Kokosioulis for a 45-yard touchdown with 6:40 left in the game.
How It Happened
- Bryant grabbed the lead with a 12-play, 85-yard drive late in the first quarter. The drive was aided by a targeting foul on Fordham. Frederick then caught a 14-yard pass and added 14 more on a reverse to help setup a four-yard TD run from Adeboboye.
- The Rams would make it 7-6 game at the half as Andrew Mevis kicked a pair of field goals.
- Bryant extended its lead on its second drive of the second half. Redshirt sophomore Chris Hindle (Cranston, R.I.) connected with graduate student Hunter Hill (Memphis, Tenn.) on third-and-long and then hit Frederick for a 38-yard scoring strike.
- Mevis then capped a 15-play drive with his third field goal of the game, starting a string of four-straight scoring drives. Kokosioulis' TD catch gave the Rams the lead, Zach Davis' 48-yard TD run extended the lead to eight and DeMorat's 20-yard TD run put the game away.
- Fordham outgained Bryant, 444-238. The Rams ran 25 more plays than the Bulldogs.
- Bryant was 4-of-15 on third downs, while Fordham was 8-for-21.
- Hindle finished 14-of-25 for 137 yards and a touchdown.
- Adeboboye rushed for 99 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries.
- Frederick caught four passes for 62 yards and a touchdown.
- Senior Vincent Nisivoccia (Nutley, N.J.) caught six passes for 31 yards.
- Wright posted 11 tackles, a strip sack and a QB hurry.
- Onyemem posted eight tackles to go along with his interception.
- Andreessen had seven tackles, two sacks and three TFLs.
- Senior Jesse Nemerowicz (Hudson, Mass.) posted five tackles and a sack.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant falls to 3-2 all-time against Fordham.
- The Bulldogs had a six-game winning streak in home openers snapped. Bryant is now 10-2 in home openers at the DI level.
- Nemerowicz's five tackles give him 249 in his career.
- Wright's 11 tackles are a new career high.
- He now has 23 career sacks and 30.0 career tackles for a loss.
- Nisivoccia's six catches give him 101 for his career. He's the seventh player in program history to post 100 career receptions.
- Andreessen posted the first two sacks of his career.
- Adeboboye set a career high in rushing for the second-straight week.
- Onyemem's interception is the second of his career. He also posted an INT at Howard last fall.
The Bulldogs continue their three-game homestand next Saturday when they welcome in-state rival Brown to Beirne Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.